What's new

New sub technology from Eminent... 1Hz?? (1 Viewer)

John_RO

Stunt Coordinator
I stand by my claim that this product is ridiculous. If I recall, human hearing is limited to 20hz. Everything below that you "feel." So why not buy some bass shakers instead?
Heck of a lot cheaper.

Vaughan Odendaal

Second Unit
What about bass shakers? Wouldn't they be an alternative to this "big bad"? I'm just wondering what kind of difference there would be because some bass shakers can go down to as low as 5hz.

--Sincerely,

Jim*T

Auditioning
As far as bass shakers go. The big difference is how you sense the low frequency. Bass shakers rely on a direct physical coupling to their surrounding environment instead of by soundwaves. The sensation of sound pressure can't be overlooked here.JMTC:D

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
I guess I've never really experienced good bass shakers, but for some reason I always thought they would feel gimmicky. I think I've felt them once and it was more just a buzzing of the seat, and it took away from the experience rather than enhancing it. I must be wrong if there are that many people out there who support them.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

While we all desire the most bass - and at the lowest levels, even 20Hz at 85 - 90 dB was more than enough for me. I can't imagine lower frequencies at higher dBs without my stomach getting queasy. Yes, I'm a weenie. :D

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
What sort of frequency response do source players put out from 1 to 20 hz anyways (DVD..CD..whatever)?

Instead of sub-sub woofers, how about you pay a really strong person to stand behind your sofa and rock it back and forth violently when there are explosions or other low frequency events in the dvd you are watching? ....lol...that is, of course, if you don't have bass shakers of some kind :)

MikeNg

Second Unit
some DVD/CD player's spec say they have a FR down to 2Hz.

Hey, people buy super tweeters, why not sub-sub's?

John S

Senior HTF Member
I have seen that sort of spec on DVD players as well.

Interesting concept. There was a movie called "The Tingler" that basically employed people to do all sorts of things including physically rocking the seating in some scenes, so your idea really isn't that out of line there Chris PC....

Gotta love it.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
When I was a teenager, we used to go to a T-shirt store (you remember the 80's...right?) where they did the custom (sort-of) iron-on T-shirts..anyways, there was where we saw our first glimpse of the arcade game "Pole Position". For anyone too young to remember, Pole Position was, for all intents and purposes, a somewhat revolutionary car game. The first one had only one track, but the sound and feel was impressive, and most importantly...fun! Anyhow...this one was a sit-down version with the enclosure, and it was on wheels. So when we played it, when the person playing was rounding a corner, the people watching would roll the back end around. It was hilarious and the people in the store never stopped us..

Ok...back to subwoofers from 1 to 20 hz...

:D

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
Ah!!!!!!!!!! Just what the doctor recommended to augment the low and response of my SVS 16-46 octet and B4-Plus/12 "Black Beauty" twins! Better get two of them to increase output levels, though... :D

-THTS

andySu

Senior HTF Member
I believe most motion picture soundtracks don’t have any information below 20Hz and some that do are very rare. What’s more the cut-off range is 10Hz and playing around with extreme low frequencies can be dangerous! Don’t get me wrong I like lots of low end to support and give the film soundtrack mass but I doubt that Mark Robson’s Earthquake 1974, in (((Sensurround))) will do much with this, but it would however be very interesting to set an array of these up in a commercial cinema.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks