What's new

New sub, anyone care to help with the box design? (1 Viewer)

BrendanL

Agent
I just got an Earthquake Magma 15" sub, and they aren't much help for a decent box design. I am going to use this sub in my home theater, so I want to design a box that will play low and still have decent midbass output.
The specs on it are:
FS: 24.7 Hz
BL: 10.4741 tm
SPL: 90.6 dB
QMS: 8.0864
QES: 0.4767
VAS: 235.33 Liters
MMS: 197.91 Grams
VC = 3"
xmax =" .98"
They suggest using their passive radiator but thats more money I don't have and I don't mind a huge PVC or slot port.
More specs and their suggested designs are here:
http://www.earthquakesound.com/box%2...gma15/hex1.gif

A

Anthony_Gomez

without a bunch of EQing, you are looking at a pretty large enclosure

320L tunned to 20hz with a 6"x12.25" port should do it for you.

I don't see how this driver can be used in their recommended 2.5ft^box without tons of EQing!

Chris Eriksen

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Brendan,
Nice choice for a driver - I use the same sub. :) My Magma 15 is in a 225L vented enclosure, tuned to 16 hz. I am feeding it in excess of 600rms, and I am very happy with the results. Many people here on HTF helped to design my enclosure - you can read their input HERE.
Two other quick thoughts:
-I would not recommend cloning the Supernova 15. I have had the opportunity to demo this sub head-to-head with my DIY sub, with my DIY version being clearly superior in every aspect except enclosure size. :)
-The Magma 15 can be mounted in a down-firing enclosure. I ran the numbers when designing my sonosub, and the cone sag was acceptable in a down-firing orientation.
I hope this helps! :)

BrendanL

Agent
I couldn't pass it up for $100 new in the box. ;)
Chris,
Did you make a sonosub? What size port did you use?
I guess I need to hunt down some sonotube, because otherwise I will have a 150 pound+ enclosure.

Chris Eriksen

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Brendan,
Wow! That sub is a steal at $100. I'm jealous.
For my sonosub, I used a 33" long port with the equivalent area of a 6" diameter port. Keep in mind that the displacement of the port is very significant. 225L is the net size of my enclosure, after subtracting the volumes of the port, driver, and bracing.
I hope this helps! :)
-Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks