What's new

Paramount+ Star Trek: Discovery - Official Thread (3 Viewers)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Lou,

I read part of the article and will finish it later. I have never subscribed to cable TV, so this stuff is new to me, I can see its a great deal for the rest of the world who are Netflix subscribers. The US will pay the $6. I'll be trying it out and see how it goes. This is in a way fulfilling an idea that Gene Roddenberry once spoke of in an interview in the 70's. He said, and perhaps he got the idea from an advisor, that someday the audience will be able to simply punch in a request and a movie or TV show will be transmitted to their home.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
As a Canadian, this sounds great to me. Well just PVR the show to watch at our leasure. Anything I want to keep I just record with my Magnavox recordable DVD player after editing out commercials -- a very simple process.

I have had the capacity to record TV and time delay it since the mid 1980s, and it has become idiot simple over the years. I can't remember watching a show when it actually was on for years.

My experience with Netflix here is that they have very little that I have not already seen or that I am interested in. Although the service works well. We watch it through our PS3 on our 65" Sony.

All other streaming services have been experienced through the computer, which with a 17" screen is like stepping back to 1958! God forbid watching it on a smart phone.

I don't think an adult has to use streaming. Isn't just for teenagers in their rooms on their laptops, between updating their Facebook page?

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Terry, I'm an adult that regularly streams Netflix on their HT system. BTW - Netflix is worth getting for Stranger Things alone. They have really stepped up their original programming the last few years too.

I had Netflix from the get-go when it was only 7 dollars - Canada never had a disc rental option just streaming if I remember correctly.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Lots of new deets over at AICN - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/76084 - so take with a grain of salt until confirmed other where.

Hi-lites:

Main character to be called Number One in honour of Majel Roddenberry. Will learn her true name by season end.

Fuller and “Star Trek Into Darkness” screenwriter Alex Kurtzman wrote the first hour of “Star Trek: Discovery,” the second hour was scripted by Nicholas Meyer

It's still early days for the "Discovery" writers room. "We have the first three scripts [completed] and then we have outlines for [hours] four and five," explained Fuller. "We know what the story is for episode 11 and it's one of my favorites for the season."

"We'll probably have some [casting] announcements in October," said Fuller. "We've met with fantastic actors and of course there are people I've worked with before that I'd love to see on Star Trek. We're trying to figure out everybody's schedules."

No time travel planned for the first season so far.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
New show is getting the full media blitz too with novels and comic books planned.

Star Trek: Discovery Title Explained by Bryan Fuller

“This ship is called the Discovery for a few reasons. Not the least of which is Stanley Kubrick’s contribution to the Discovery on 2001: A Space Odyssey, NASA’s vessel the Discovery, and also the sense of discovery. [It’s about] what the word ‘discovery’ means to Star Trek audiences who have been promised a future by Gene Roddenberry where we come together as a planet and seek new worlds and new alien races to explore and understand and collaborate with.”

Fuller also reiterated that Discovery would introduce and reintroduce alien species, vessels, and technologies both familiar and strange – something which meshes with fans’ overall understanding of the project so far. Set 10 years before The Original Series, the latest escapade will follow the ship’s female, non-alien second-in-command (or Number One). It will also include a whole host of alien species both on-board the Discovery and beyond. In addition, the series will follow a non-standard format, being serialized rather than episodic in nature. A full spread of tie-ins is also in the works to further connect fans with the most recent trek through space.

trevanian

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin
Well with 2001, 'discovery' has a lot of layers ... look how long it takes for Bowman to 'discover' the real reason for the mission.

I'd like to think there is a 'second level of sell' to this that is the kind of complication inherent with S31 or plans-within-plans, and that it will pay off (or deepen) when we find out who and/or what she REALLY is.) Pure speculation on my part though.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I like the title (STD abbreviation aside) because it evokes both the heritage of real world space travel with the Space Shuttle Discovery and because it calls back to the original mission statement of Star Trek as a wagon train to the stars.

One thing that will be interesting to see is if the show delves into gender politics. The TNG/DS9/Voyager era takes absolute gender equality as a given, with no significant variation in dress or gender roles. While the Kirk era definitely pointed to a more enlightened post-feminist era, it was explicitly gendered in a way that sets it apart from the other shows. The Federation in general and Starfleet in particular are so utopian that it's difficult to find the interpersonal conflicts that fuel drama.

trevanian

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin
The Federation in general and Starfleet in particular are so utopian that it's difficult to find the interpersonal conflicts that fuel drama.

Even smack in the middle of TNG with its 'no interpersonal conflicts' nutsiness, you have Shelby after Riker's job in BEST OF BOTH WORLDS with conflict that would have been right out of a boardroom drama from the 1950s. They dropped that rule whenever it was convenient (and featured a script by the showrunner who enforced the rule), and even though that ep is a good one, it always rankles because to me it was proof - then & now - that they weren't staying true to that absurd premise. The reasons TOS and FIREFLY and B5 and even DS9 work is because these ain't all saints.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
The writers really pushed hard against that idea from Gene because it was an absurd standard to hold to for drama. Roddenberry loathed the TNG episode Family - which is a highlight of the series - because he was adamant that brothers in the 24th century would have always been best pals.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Why do I get the sneaking suspicion this show isn't going to happen? I know I'm being pessimistic, but this is yet another case of how CBS and Paramount continue to treat this franchise shabbily.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Why do I get the sneaking suspicion this show isn't going to happen? I know I'm being pessimistic, but this is yet another case of how CBS and Paramount continue to treat this franchise shabbily.

I think it'll happen, but I'm hoping the extra five months shows CBS that no one wants their crap streaming service and the series winds up held over to be an event series for CBS or CW in September.

trevanian

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin
They've got to be waiting on somebody big as a lead or co-lead. Can't imagine any other reason they'd be this tied up, even with the tight schedule.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The only other thought I have is a conflict with the home video release of Star Trek Beyond. They had an issue with the theatrical, after all.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Well, that makes sense, considering they were only about three and a half months from the premiere date and they seemingly HAVEN'T EVEN CAST A SINGLE F**KING ACTOR YET.

LOL!!!!:laugh: IT is Damn near October, and it launches just over 3 moths from now. Pathetic...astonishingly pathetic:wacko:

EDIT:
Oh, just saw the delay news. I'm done with the whole thing. See you guys.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Why so much angst and drama over a few months delay? I think it's good they are trying to do their best to deliver a great show.

It's a streaming show, it doesn't have the traditional fall schedule to meet for air time.

Let them do what it takes to make a great show.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Even smack in the middle of TNG with its 'no interpersonal conflicts' nutsiness,

I think Maurice Hurley said it best: "wackydoodle!"

you have Shelby after Riker's job in BEST OF BOTH WORLDS with conflict that would have been right out of a boardroom drama from the 1950s. They dropped that rule whenever it was convenient (and featured a script by the showrunner who enforced the rule)

I always thought it was Hurley who was strictly enforcing "Gene's rule" (even though he personally despised it, Gene told him what he wanted done, and he tried to do with his boss wanted), and that after Hurley left, the production team started pushing away from Gene's edicts as his day-to-day role in the production was greatly diminished after Hurley left (Gene's health was declining at this point). I don't think Gene had very much at all to do with the show by the time they would have been writing "Best of Both Worlds".

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Why so much angst and drama over a few months delay? I think it's good they are trying to do their best to deliver a great show.

It's a streaming show, it doesn't have the traditional fall schedule to meet for air time.

Let them do what it takes to make a great show.

Because it's a lack of planning, scheduling and incompetence on their part. If you announce a show of this magnitude for a certain premiere and then kick it down the pike, so to speak, that signals something is dreadfully wrong with the it. There are exceptions, of course, but I don't have faith this is one of them. CBS hasn't done a darn thing right for the 50th anniversary (neither has Paramount). It feels like they don't care and this is another example.

There was a lot of press over the summer about the new show and now that press will have to be redone at extra expense for the move to May. Additionally, less people are watching TV or indoors in the summer. What will that do to the premiere and series ratings/viewers?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks