What's new

Paramount+ Star Trek: Discovery - Official Thread (1 Viewer)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
If this is indeed on Space Channel, that is very good news indeed. Most people will get this if they have any package above basic cable.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I always wonder why Americans do not seem to access Canadian TV. We get most regular networks from the US and are intimately acquainted with the country.
When we cross the border however, and for instance can still see Canada from a hotel in Niagara Falls, it is as if our country didn't exist as far as access to TV is concerned.
I remember seeing the weather forecasts from Detroit and seeing maps displayed that are blank above the US border. What gives?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
We Americans have watched lots of great Canadian shows: Saturday Night Live, The X-Files, Family Ties...the list goes on! :)

(And I just discovered that Corner Gas has a direct-to-video movie that I now have to buy.)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
We Americans have watched lots of great Canadian shows: Saturday Night Live, The X-Files, Family Ties...the list goes on! :)

(And I just discovered that Corner Gas has a direct-to-video movie that I now have to buy.)

I am speaking of a direct feed of course. Wouldn't it be a good idea if Americans had access to our CBC or CTV networks? This could allow them to get a perspective on themselves from the outside.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I wonder when we will see anything from this? We don't even know when or where it takes place!

There's an official Trek 50th anniversary convention in NYC in September, they haven't announced any panels yet but I could see them using that as an opportunity to start showing footage or talking more specifics. But since it doesn't start til January they could end up waiting til closer to then.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I had a look at the sneak peak of the new series Star Trek Discovery on YouTube.

Seeing that ship, I know where they got the design from. In 1975, 76 or so, Ken Adam did some design concepts for Star Trek Planet of the Titans. He redesigned the Enterprise and it looked like this:

image.jpeg

Then Ralph McQurrie did some production paintings:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

So with credit to the Forgotten Trek website, where I got these images. I remember seeing them in the 1970's in Starlog magazine. Looks like the new CBS series is using those designs for the Discovery and the asteroid the ship is docked in. But at the same time, I'm puzzled. Why use this design? I personally do not like it. Maybe it's a place holder. Maybe it's a test for reaction from the audience. Maybe it's a way to differentiate from all the Star Trek projects behind it. If this is meant to be only used in the first season, maybe that's ok to show another kind of starship used in the fleet.

The teaser is obviously a nod to 2001:

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Nelson that design jumped at me too. Ah, the Starlog days before there was internet.

The music from Discovery sounded quite militaristic. Hope it's not indicative of the tone of the show.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
don't know about that ship design, something is just off , but hey it just my opinion. if this is real trek then it is all about the story. i hope that they remember that.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Oh, and they confirmed it's real Trek, in the prime universe.

Nothing firm on the time period, but the style and details of the ship make it look pre-TOS.
Are the hull numbers for starships issued sequentially? Because NCC-1031 would be after NCC-0514 (the USS Kelvin, on which George Kirk served as first officer) but before NCC-1701 (the "original" USS Enterprise, in both timelines). So probably somewhere in the 2240s.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Are the hull numbers for starships issued sequentially? Because NCC-1031 would be after NCC-0514 (the USS Kelvin, on which George Kirk served as first officer) but before NCC-1701 (the "original" USS Enterprise, in both timelines). So probably somewhere in the 2240s.

Eh... Yes and no.

A lot of numbers across the series were sequential. But there have always been outliers... the Constitution class Constellation, a sister ship of the Enterprise, was NCC-1017 (because they just flipped the numbers on an AMT model to use in the show... why they didn't just use 1710 is anyone's guess), and the Grissom from Star Trek III was NCC-638, but there's no way that class ship was older than the Enterprise.

So, the stretch between Enterprise and TOS makes sense for the timeframe, especially with things like the look of the registry numbers on the bottom of the saucer, but it could be misleading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks