What's new

New speaker set up? (1 Viewer)

Terry A

Auditioning
I need a little help(comparison). After going down to the mid range HT store, I would like to get some input to see if the sales person is selling me what he thinks is good or what he makes the most money on.

The room I am trying to outfit is 30 wide and 20 deep. This is where the sofa and chairs sit. The HT is on the 30 wall. However the total room is 30 by 36.

Except for the center channel and sub. Everything else would have to be in the wall. (Wife's request :frowning:

OK here is the speaker list.
2-Boston vri580
1-Boston vri553
2-Boston Vri560
1-Martin Logan Dynamo Sub

This will go thru a Denon 3805. Plus looking at a DMS like 2 parts fusion.

We do watch a lot of DVD's but enjoy great music as welll.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
That set-up looks great to me but I have owned Bostons for 13 years so I tend to be a bit biased. I have heard them mated with that receiver though and the sound is great!! If I were to suggest a change you may want to look at some other subs. ML is FANTASTIC when it comes to their speakers and the subs are great too....but I think you could do better for the money. Obviously the popular internet brands would be the first place to look (Hsu & SVS). You will get more bang for the buck ans save some cash for other goodies.......

John S

Senior HTF Member
Pretty big room... I don't know anything about that sub, must be out of my league. :)

The system seems reasonable to me for the most part.

There are a million ways you could go though....

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator
Your going to have your mains in the wall as well?

I would think you might have some sound issues with your center and mains if your center is out in front and your mains are inside the wall.

Terry A

Auditioning
That brings up a good point. I could as easily put the center speaker in the wall.

Anybody else out there with a thought on this.

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator
I would either put them all in wall....or preferrably the front soundstage all out of the wall.

William_Gravem

Stunt Coordinator
I have a few thoughts here sorry if they're a bit disjoint:

-If I went w/ these speakers you listed above, I'd say you should put them all in the wall, as opposed to all in the wall except the center. There's an advantage in having your fronts match.

-As far as your "is Boston a good deal, or is the sales guy trying to hornswaggle me?" (I paraphrased... and I like the word "hornswaggle") I remember a post from a little over a year ago when somebody said (essentially) that there's a good chance that Boston Acoustic owners may be the quiet winners in this whole game. They're really great speakers, and as a company they do good business, but are strangely under-represented on on-line forums. That single post made me go audition a set. I liked Boston a lot, but they didn't fit my needs (I had a bizarre set of constraints though: b/c it was a condo I couldn't go w/ in-wall as the sound would resonate more through the walls, and I couldn't have floor standing b/c I have a pair of cats w/ claws, so I needed wall-mounted speakers, be it small or wall-mounted bookshelves.) Anyway, all I'm trying to say is, Boston's makes a good speaker. (And anytime you have a life-long Yankee fan saying Boston-anything is pretty good... never-mind.)

-Perhaps you should consider HSU or SVS subs. You'll hear a lot of "SVS rocks" around here. There's a reason for it, though. I really don't think you'll find a better sub-per-dollar in the $500-$800 range than an SVS or HSU's. (and if you want to start an argument, post a "best sub for $650, HSU or SVS?" post.)

Anyway, I hope that helps.

---Bill

William_Gravem

Stunt Coordinator
ps:

-I'd also consider the Paradigm in-wall monitor series if you want to go with in-walls. Just a thought.

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
Here's a completely unbiased vote for my stuff. ;)

I went with Energy Veritas Custom in-ceilings all the way around...coincidentally, paired with a 3805. (Very tough room...I won't get into it. And I had a wife's request as well.) But for structural reasons I went with a pair of them for the center channel...again, in ceiling. It took some patience, and careful aiming of the adjustable mid/tweeter unit, but I'm really happy with it. In walls just weren't an option...even for the center.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks