New SONY WEGA (KV32FS13) Funhouse Effect.. WHY? Can it be fixed?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mitch_B, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Mitch_B

Mitch_B Extra

This is my first post...

I have been reading up on the various problems WEGA owners have been experiencing, but went ahead with my purchase of the KV-32FS13 hoping that I would get a good one. I'm very happy with the set EXCEPT for the horizontal "bowing" or "wave" or, as some call it, the "funhouse effect" which is noticeable while watching widescreen formats, tickers, etc.

This phenomena is very slight. For instance the horizontal line moves upward toward the side in the bottom left-hand corner and the top horizontal line dips down and then back up. The tilt is great (thank goodness), but this other thing is driving me crazy. I can't stop staring at it. Maybe it will adjust itself? Maybe I should return it to Best Buy (I have the 4yr coverage)? Maybe I need a SONY technician to visit the TV?

Can this be fixed by a technician? Should I just deal with it or keep returning these things until I get a "good" one? I am very familiar with the Service Mode, Video Essentials and Avia and I have done all I can with them. Again, the effect is slight and maybe I should just deal with it.

Thanks in advance for all of your opinions and answers! Very much appreciated!

2. Jay Sylvester

Jay Sylvester Supporting Actor

I have a problematic Wega that I purchased back in Novemeber 2000. It not only exhibits the waviness you describe, but numerous geometry and convergence problems. I've had it serviced several times, including a tube replacement, and it hasn't improved. Best Buy has finally agreed to replace it, and reading your post doesn't inspire me with a lot of confidence since I'll probably end up with the same model as you (I have the discontinued 32FS12 which I'm guessing will be replaced with a 32FS13).

I think that if the problem is slight, you could have a tech look at it in case it's something beyond the service mode but still correctable, but it might not be worth getting it replaced because you could end up with something much worse like I did. Then again, you paid for it, and it's your hard-earned money, and if you feel you're getting the shaft, by all means ask for another.

If you're still within Best Buy's 30 day return period, I say go for it. Once you're past that, they will force you to get it serviced at least three or four times before they even consider replacing it.

Good luck.

3. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Mitch- I have a very similar problem, and I was wondering if it was my imagination that the lines didn't seem straight. I particularly notice it on programs such as "Babylon 5" which is broadcast in widescreen. The lines at the top and bottom just don't seem to be straight. As you say, it is minor and I could certainly live with it if that were the only problem. Unfortunately, I also have an extreme overabundance of red, to the point where some scenes look like they were lit with sunlamps. Either that or everybody used red clay for makeup. I've also noticed what appears to be a red spot in the upper left corner when it has no signal being fed to it, so perhaps those two things are related.

Frankly, at this point, I am so frustrated with the lack of a reply from the service center (even in terms of scheduling an appointment) and the virtually unwatcheable picture that I am strongly considering returning it for a refund and going with a less expensive set.

Good luck with your situation.

Steve K.

4. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Mitch-
    First of all, Welcome to the Forum! [​IMG]

5. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

6. Mitch_B

Mitch_B Extra

Thanks for all of the posts.

I am still within the 30 day period with Best Buy. I think I will most likely keep this set since I could end up with one that has even more problems.

But then again..... (do I feel lucky?)

7. JasonWW

JasonWW Agent

8. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

I have a JVC i'art, 27". While I do not have any of the horizontal bowing described on the wegas, i did have severe vertical "funhouse mirror" syndrome. I managed to correct it about 80% in the service menu, but it is still not perfect. Luckilly I can only notice it now on channels with uniform vertical scrolling, like the tv listings channel, or sometimes movie credits that scroll fast and have large type. It doesn't bother me anymore as I realize that it is better than 90% of similar falat screen analog TVs. However it is annoying enough that I will not buy a direct view CRT again. My next TV will be an LCD flat panel.