What's new

New Sony TV Poll (1 Viewer)

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
Didn't all of the shows that finished well in their last poll not get released while the poor finishers did? So what's the point? Also, did you see which show is in first? You've got to be kidding. Bette? That show was awful. Who's voting in this thing anyway?

BTW, how about a Sony poll that includes some of their GOOD shows:

Tightrope
Route 66
Occasional Wife
Love on a Rooftop
Father Knows Best
Donna Reed Show
1/2 hour Naked City
Second Hundred Years
Paul Lynde Show

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Don't hold your breath when it comes to Sony recognizing their classics. As I've said for years now, they are absolutely allergic to anything black & white. And unfortunately that means shows like "Route 66", "The Donna Reed Show", "Naked City", "Dennis the Menace" and "Father Knows Best" are not going to see the light of day for quite some time.

Gary "FKB is really high on my list of most-wanted releases at this point, but I have very little hope of seeing it any time soon" O.

docdoowop

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
Count me in for "The Second Hundred Years"! This show was shot down way too soon.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Please everyone, vote for Cupid! Tell your friends who love Jeremy Piven or Paula Marshall (yum!)! It's also from the creator of Veronica Mars!!

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

Cupid actually was a very good, very well written show and because of that and the fact that it was a bit too intelligent for morons, didn't last very long. But fortunately it ran a few years ago so I have them all so a DVD release of the show is far less important to me than something from the pre-taping era.

Isn't Paula Marshall like the female Ted McGinley (guaranteed show-killer)?

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

This isn't entirely true. Sony has released ``Bewitched'' and ``I Dream of Jeannie,'' which were black and white at least at the outset.

70sTVlover

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick
I voted for the Rookies, the only decent show on the list... Nearly all of them never got past season 1... :-S I agree with you Michael those shows are better

Mary_P

Second Unit
So I've heard.....

BTW, here's the link to Sony's main page, from which you can access the poll.

http://www.sonypictures.com/homevideo/tvondvd/

Disappointing to see so few series listed in this poll. One of these times I wish they'd include an "other" field or let you choose from *all* titles that they have rights to. They might just get a few surprises.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I voted for Cupid which seemed to me a keeper, The Rookies as a blind pick from what was left after searching imdb for information and What's Happening Now as I like that show even though I understand many seem to hate it. I do wish better shows were picked.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
I'd rather see the ones on Michael's list. The ones on Sony's are crap by comparison, in my opinion.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

I kinda figured someone would bring up those two examples. And honestly, they only make my point stronger. Why? Because even with the early black & white seasons of both shows, Sony felt they had to offer colorized versions along with the originals. And it's been well documented here that people searching for the black & white versions at B&M stores have been hard pressed to find any in stock.

Gary "once Sony releases a series that was only broadcast in b&w for its duration - something like FKB, for instance - I'll take back what I've said about their allergy" O.

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
Boy those choices really aren't very good, are they? Bette! - Huh??? Is there really a big desire to see that crappy show? Strange.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

Do they monitor how many times a person can vote? I'll be they don't and there's probably a couple of people voting 20 times a day for that show, which would be the only logical explanation for it's showing.

Mary_P

Second Unit
As I recall, "Police Story" was also very good -- I'd be interested in seeing that again. Created by Joseph Wambaugh, it was an anthology series featuring a different cast every week and the depiction of cops was far grittier and more realistic than most of what was on network television at the time. The entry in Wikipedia says that it paved the way for shows like "NYPD Blue" and "Homicide: Life on the Street," and from what I remember of it, I think that's a fair assessment.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I don't want any of those shows on their new poll at all.

Hey, Sony, I got a better idea. Why not finish the shows you already started?

There should be a new poll:
Which series that we already started would you like to see us finish?

Police Woman season 2
Fantasy Island season 2
Hazel season 2
Barney Miller season 2
227 season 2
Here Come the Brides season 2
SWAT season 2
TJ Hooker season 2
Who's the Boss season 2
Family season 2
Partridge Family season 3
Flying Nun season 3
Diff'rent Strokes season 3
Facts of Life season 4
Charlie's Angels season 4
Bewitched season 5

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
Bette was a horrible show, but think for a second. She is a famous pop diva, divas have loyal fans who'll buy anything with their name on it (just look at all the Streisand DVD's on the market). Okay, Bette was not an award-worthy show but I think there are tens/hundreds of thousands of die-hard Bette Midler fans (judging from how her albums normally sell) who'll buy the DVD's sight unseen because it's Bette Midler.

Remember, it's those people who put Bette Sings The Peggy Lee Songbook in the top 10 on the albums chart who are the ones that will be buying that set.

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
One overlooked, well written TV show is "Ben Casey."
Yes...it's in b/w making it less desireable for today's TV generation, but seeing that another property of Bing Crosby Productions "Hogan Heroes" went to DVD, I'm hoping that "Ben Casey" might also be considered for a future release, sometime in the not too distant future.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks