What's new

New Sony PSTwo (30% smaller PS2) (1 Viewer)

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I saw this and thought I would pass on the info:

Article

Sounds intersting. The PSOne kept sales going for an old machine. Can this reinvigorate PS2 hardware sales?

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
My PS2's been out of commission, not being able to play any DVD media (games or movies) for about a year or so. For a while, the plan was to buy a new one when GTA: San Andreas came out.

However, about a week ago, I decided that I wouldn't be buying a new PS2 (or GTA:SA, for that matter) in October, and would instead hold out on GTA:SA until the inevitable XBox release next year.

Well, this changes things. . .

Dammit. :)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I am just wondering how it'll look. Will they outfunk the PS2 design or will it be all curvey and futuristic? And maybe this means the original PS2 design will drop in price.

Rodrick

Second Unit
Wow small similar to the PS one. My friend has the playstation, and then bought the ps1 after his first playstation broke.

If this is true for the ps2 maybe I'll look into that if I haven't bought a gamecube yet.

Something tells me I should 've kept my Xbox cause LSL cum Laude is coming out for it. I'd buy that game. I have a few LSL's for my old pentium computer.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Here is an article, as well as more pictures on PS2 IGN's website. It's actually 60% smaller. Prospective HDD owners will be out of luck, as the newer PSTwo won't be able to accomdate this, but it will have an integrated Ethernet port.

If only MS would trim the excess fat on the Xbox....

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
It's not so much that the new PS2 is really that small--it has more to do with the fact that the model in the photo above is just abnormally large.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Is it really that big a deal that they're bringing the console out again in a smaller package? True, the onboard ethernet is a great idea, but why make it so small that the HDD won't work?

That being said though, I'd still love to find a top loading NES, but I just don't see that one happening, well, ever.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Some nice photos are up here, including a shot of the top open (FRA TOPPEN: Du setter inn disken på toppen av maskinen), and one of a really large man holding this really small PS2.

EDIT:

And more here, too. My Lord.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

IMHO, the HDD isn't an integral component to PS2's sales. There aren't that many games that utilize the HDD currently, and although some of the higher profile titles promise downloadable content in the future (e.g. Gran Turismo 4), not everyone who presently owns a PS2, nor prospective future owners, are likely to shell out a bundle for this.

I prefer the tray loading mechanism over the top loader, but besides that minor qualm, the slimmer size would allow me to replace my existing model and have it share shelf space with my planned DENON DVD player; it's also more portable (should fit in my laptop case, which makes it handy for business trips). Although the lack of a HDD slot is a downside, I think the positives outweigh the negatives.

Phil Kim

Stunt Coordinator
So I guess games such as Final Fantasy XI (version that comes with hard disk) is out of the question. Unless, of course, Sony releases an external enclosure (perhaps connected via FireWire).

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

Unfortunately, FFXI and other HDD-capable titles won't be playable on the PSTwo. SONY has removed the IEEE 1394 port in the newer PS2 models because there weren't any applications available for it, and there are no plans to have it reinstated for the PSTwo (both USB ports will be retained, but given that they're 1.1, the transfer rates for this designation will be much too slow to provide any worthwhile benefits).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks