What's new

New Sony Grand Wega LCDs or Samsung DLP (1 Viewer)

Phil Levy

Stunt Coordinator
So... there's some new Sony Grand Wega LCD rear projections around the corner that are pretty reasonably priced (KF42WE610, KF50WE610, KF60WE610). Anyone heard anything about these sets? I'm pretty much deciding between one of them and the Samsung DLP, trying to figure out pros/cons of each.

Thanks!

Phil Levy

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, and sorry for being sort of repetitive, but I'm looking for info specifically on the new Sonys that are coming out this month. Haven't seen much (well, any) talk on them, and I can't even find what resolution they run at.

Steve Owen

Second Unit
Gotcha. I guess I didn't realize that there were new ones. Sorry.

Anyway, I've got a Samsung DLP on order, so take my advise with a grain of salt. I went with the DLP for two reasons... seemingly lower rate of stuck pixels, and better black levels. Sony's take on stuck pixels seems to be that's it's just a downside to the technology whereas Samsung (and TI, makers of the DLP chip) take it as unreasonable and will replace the light engine if there's a stuck pixel. I also didn't like the black levels on the LCD. DLP black levels aren't as good as CRT, but I found them to be far better than LCD.

Plus I simply liked the picture on the DLP better. I found the LCD to be a bit soft. The upside of that is that the softer picture looked better on standard definition material.

I hope to (finally) have the DLP this week after having waited for over a month for it. I'll be sure to post back with some info after that.

-Steve

Mikey_B

Grip
There is also a new RCA DLP Scenium out this week that is selling for about 3195.00 shipped (50")

Users who are viewing this thread