New Sony ES digital receivers have high THD!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Eric Lo, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Eric Lo

Eric Lo Agent

Check out the Sony Australia site. It seems like the new STR-DA5000ES has pretty high THD [​IMG]

Surround Mode: 0.7% at 170W x 7, 8 ohm, 1kHz
    Stereo Mode: 0.09% at 150W x 2, 8 ohm, 20-20kHz

http://www.sony.com.au/Objects/image...0_HIFICOMP.pdf

For comparison purpose, here are the THDs of TAN-9000ES:

Surround Mode: 0.013% at 115W x 5, 8 ohm, 20-20kHz
    Stereo Mode: 0.09% at 140W x 2, 8 ohm, 20-20kHz

-- Eric

2. Oliver

Oliver Stunt Coordinator

So what?
    This say just about 0 of the sound you can expect.
    First of all the spec. are all different in an real digital amp, just like used in the 5000ES. They do sound different as well.
    And: take a look at a tube amp. They really got bad spec. but do they sound fantastic?

3. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Like you, I would prefer to see lower THD numbers. I'm not exactly sure what it means in the real world when most of the experts say you can't hear anything below 1%. I personally take the THD rating as an indicator of overall amp quality so we'll have to wait and see what the pro reviewers have to say about this high number. Many recievers and amps in the 1960/70's had THD ratings around 1% and I don't recall any sound related issues because of this. To my mind this stuff sounded as good then as anything bieng produced today.I have seen the exact same THD rating for the Denon 4800 which doesn't seem to bother the fans of this receiver so it may turn out that it's really insignificant and just the nature of these new digital amps and receivers.

4. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

Carver used to make amplifiers with up to 2 or 3 % distortion, but they sounded very good (and yes they were solid state, not tubed). Their theory was that a low level of feedback resulted in a more musical sound, albiet with more distortion.

As for the Sony specs, I'd be curious to see what the distortion figures are at 150W instead of 170W.

5. terence

terence Supporting Actor

Long as it is below 1% i don't think it's a big deal. Now you have to remember the new ES line are using digital amps instead of solid state. So this a whole new breed in it self, i think the industry should come out with a new testing standard for digital amps. The high distortion might not mean anything with these new ES's. I agree with JackS, I can't wait to see some pro reviews,real world numbers, and most important...........How do they sound?!

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

You are not going to hear harmonic distortion below 1 percent.

In the early 1970s, Stereo Review conducted controlled listening tests that, in some cases, seemed to demonstrate that THD levels of 1.5 percent or greater approached the threshold of audibility.

7. Mike Mundt

Mike Mundt Stunt Coordinator

did you look at the two ES models that are .05%????

STR-DA4ES
    STR-DA7ES

im not sure why your lookin at the aust. site when we have a nice american site right here.

8. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

Mike,

those are older models, they don't have digital amps. And AFAIK none of the american sites have published specs on the upcoming models Eric's refering to.

9. DarrylM

DarrylM Stunt Coordinator

I've never heard a Sony that didn't have a high THD level, including their ES models. Most of them also had significant cross-talk. I doubt their new models are any different. Digital switching amps have their own limitations.

And there wouldn't be any reason to have separate standards for digital switching amps. THD is a measurement of sonic performance, and accurate sound is accurate sound, whether you got there with tube amps or digital switching amps or whatever.

10. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

Ahh yes... Another bash Sony thread. We can't have too many of them. This is where people who haven't heard the gear in question bench race it based on numbers they don't understand. [​IMG]

11. DarrylM

12. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

After retiring my reasonably high end two channel seperates four years ago, I bought an ES receiver as my first venture into HT. I wanted to keep it much simpler than I had in the past. In the last four years I've spent several K upgrading amps and speakers and plan to spend about 2 K more this year. The one piece that will continue in my present system is my 5ch. ES receiver. For me, there is no upgrade to any receiver of any brand beyond what I presently own. I think it comes down to sound value vs. money spent. There are many areas in a setup that can yield a significant improvement but the receiver is not one of them. I'll be keeping my ES for a few more years and in the meantime looking at other things to upgrade.

13. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

14. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Once you hit your 18th birthday, you become a fanman. Under what conditions did you get the cross-talk?

15. DarrylM

16. terence

terence Supporting Actor

17. DarrylM

18. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

19. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

20. DarrylM