What's new

New Smallville Addict (1 Viewer)

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Okay, I only got into this show in the last half of Season Two but I really really am starting to enjoy it. I watched the pilot and first couple episodes and lost interest at first. It seemed, at best, castoff stand-alone episodes of Buffy Season one...monster of the week, lesson learned, blah. Then Season Two hit and it finally started to really spark. The pretty cast shows some nice acting chops and the relationship between Lex and Clark gets better and better. In fact, Lex is MUCH more of an interesting character than Clark is. We KNOW that Clark becomes Superman and fights evil and so on. Lex, on the other hand, has been re-interpreted in so many ways (in the current DCU, he is President now, for god's sake) that he really could go any which way.

Anyway, I finally caught this last season's finale that I missed out on. They have dug an amazingly big hole to get out of and I look forward to how they do it. Using Terrance "Kneel before Zod" Stamp as the voice of Jor-El was brilliant, as was the Reeve casting earlier in the season. Wonderful.

Some thoughts. Do people think they are going to stick with their original premise of not having Clark fly? They have really come close (the hostage episode came close) and they showed him flying in a dream sequence. Is there any hope that they will carry this into Metropolis as they grow up? Or is this going to end when he puts on the cape and tights and flies off into the sunset (ala Jeph Loeb's "Superman for All Seasons" that clearly inspires some of this show). What a tragic end! They have some great developing stuff here.

One prediction that I don't know if it has been discussed to death, but I feel the voice from the machine was not in any way Jor-el, but was in fact Braniac. I also think that it was responsible for the messges received, too.
If wrong, I still like the twist that Clark was sent to conquer earth and that his desire to do good and fight crime is his way of defying the father.

Just a thought. Again, if discussed to death earlier this year, I am sorry! Great stuff, though, and can't wait for October. Pairing it with Angel was great, too. One great night of television!

Phil

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Supposedly, as the season begins (POTENTIAL SPOILERS) Clark is rumored to be working as a strongman for a Metropolis crime boss, jumping from rooftop to rooftop and crushing people's hands and the like.

Nathan_W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nathan
Premiere is Oct. 1
Yep, that's a long ways away. Bad news is that the new day and time, Wednesdays at 8e/7c, is the same spot as NBC's Ed. And, the Sunday repeats are gone. They'll be repeats of season 1 and 2 instead of the current one. :angry:

Of course this only matters if you watch Ed. Looks like I'll be watching Smallville season 3 on DVD, and between Ed commercials...why'd the WB have to do that! :frowning:

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
They figured they could capitalize on the lucratively-empty Buffy slot.

I don't know how much crossover in demographics exist between Ed viewers and Smallville fans, but I'd say the similar demo exists between Buffy and Smallville.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Why the hell is it that when the WB has their second most popular show, which has showed continual gains it its timeslot, that they move it and create potential conflicts that they could have avoided.

Scott_F_S

Second Unit
Why the hell is it that when the WB has their second most popular show, which has showed continual gains it its timeslot, that they move it and create potential conflicts that they could have avoided.
It is the chess game that is network programming. Sometimes, the network feels that the audience base is strong enough to go with the show to another time slot, where it could potentially pull in more, new viewers.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Nathan_W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nathan
The WB could fix everything if they just changed their minds about Smallville: Beginnings on Sundays and went back to the good 'ol Easyview repeats of the current season... :emoji_thumbsup:

Here's hoping they do just that :star:

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Nope, they want to assure captive viewing at the prime slot, so they can up their commercial spot load and price. It makes commercial sense, even if it doesn't work for some consumers.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Keeping up with shows is a whole lot easier if you use 2-3 VCRs/PVRs. :) Unless a show is in HD, I hate watching it in real time when I could watch it afterwards and skip the commercials. Time-shifting with PVRs has allowed me to save time watching the shows I like (and zap the ads).

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Justin is right, with me, anyway. When Buffy was on, I didn't care to look at Smallville. It wasn't until I lost Buffy that I sought out something in a similar vein and wham, there it was. Ed, feh. :) I am more worried about Angel against West Wing.

Phil

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I bumped this thread since I'm definitely a new "Smallville addict" I'm a first-time viewer of this show on DVD. I'm about halfway thru S2 at present. This show ranks in my top 2-3 blind-buys in my collection.

Brad, if you read this, you've got a guarantee with this show. You'll love it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks