What's new

new Silent Running DVD specs and cover art (1 Viewer)

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
Audio Commentary with Bruce Dern and Douglas Trumbull
"The Making of Silent Running"
Behind-the-scenes photos
Douglas Trumbull then and now
1.85:1 (16x9 unknown)
English Mono
Release Date: 5/21/2002
Link Removed
(from Image's website)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Very nice! Man, this is gonna be an expensive summer...

Dan M~

Second Unit
Cool...
Been waiting for this. Silent Running was my first experience with sci-fi on the big screen (a drive-in!).
May seems like the motherload of DVD releases!
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
My word, that cover's horrible!

I much prefer the old Image artwork.

The tagline is totally, totally misleading as well - I wonder how many people will be surprised to learn it's essentially a tree-hugger-in-space cult classic!

Still, seeing as it looks set to blitz that disc in every possible way, I can't complain too much!

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
:thumbsdown: on the art. Gee, another half face cover, how original. I'm sure glad I still have my original one. I agree that the tag line is completely misleading. Why can't they just accept the fact that classic movies are classic for a reason, and don't need to be marketed as the next Armaggedon?
It had better be 16x9...

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
:eek: on that cover art! Especially the tagline!!!
One would think this was BattleStar Galactica or something!! Did anyone who came up with this stuff actually SEE this movie? :confused:

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Well, that cover art's pretty bad, but it still doesn't top the worst, most innappropriate cover art in history. For my money, that still goes to this one:
repulsion.jpg

And while utterly overshadowed by the immensely misleading and completely inappropriate cover-art, note also "pyschological"! :laugh:

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
From DVDFile 2/25:

Also coming from Universal on 5/21 are some sci-fi classics. Up first is a new special edition of Silent Running, featuring a 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer, the original mono mix, an audio commentary by director Douglas Trumbull and star Bruce Dern, the "Douglas Trumbull: Then And Now" and original featurettes,a still gallery, and trailers. Retail is $19.95.
I'd say that pretty much confirms that it will be anamorphic. Mind you, I'm horribly reminded of the time DVDFile mistakenly listed Withnail and I and How to Get Ahead in Advertising as anamorphic, when it was the case with neither (can't blame Criterion though - HandMade Films wouldn't let out the quality elements necessary to make the transfer, before anyone starts Criterion-bashing).

Whether you know this or not, the Making of Silent Running is a 50-minute on-set documentary from 1972 that has garnered huge acclaim over the years.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Damn it Jon, you took my 'tree hugger in space' line!
;)
I'm a huge sci-fi nut, even cheesy sci-fi, but this film just didn't do it for me. Although, sounds like the featurette may be better than the film. I may have to pick it up.

Dan M~

Second Unit
You guys forget about Houey, Louey and Douey (sp?)!!
These are the guys that Lucas based R2D2 on! (Wild rumor I heard somewhere...:) )
I like the movie, not a great movie, but I like it.

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Awesome movie, one of my favorites from childhood. Can't wait for the extras.

And yep... tagline is SUCK.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
Echk.

Kinda wish I'd kept my old version long enough to scan the cover. This one looks just like Supernova, Virus and a zillion other junky scifi movies.

Regardless, this looks like it'll be an outstanding release. I've wanted to get my hands on that documentary for quite a while now.

Let's hope Universal will keep pumping out the Image reissues... Fahrenheit 451, Slaughterhouse 5, Journey to The Far Side Of The Sun and Flash Gordon certainly deserve better treatment.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I can't wait to see the taglines for the rest of the Image rereleases... :rolleyes
I'll be keeping the old ones if for nothing other than proper cover art.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Better than their original idea for a tag line, which was "If a Tree Fell in Space Would Anyone Hear It?"

Heinz W

Second Unit
Looking forward to this also.
I just can't understand this apparent policy of completely disregarding original poster art! :frowning: You know those people whose job it is to come up with these 'spiffy' covers? Well, FIRE THEM ALL! Studios, make original artwork standard when possible please!
After all, the purpose for DVD is to recreate the movie as close to original as possible, and that includes using original artwork for the cover! :)

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
But I've seen dozens of covers that are a vast improvement over the theatrical artwork - most of what Criterion puts out for a start!

What I can't work out is Anchor Bay, who are always careful to include the original (usually elegant and attractive) theatrical posters inside the disc on a postcard, but have the most god-awful covers I've ever seen plaguing the outside of the case!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks