What's new

new setup advice (1 Viewer)

passplay

Auditioning
Real Name
pass
Hello. I have been upgrading my home theater piece by piece for 2 years and finally finished last week! I would like advice on 2 settings please...
My setup...
Receiver:
Denon AVR-391
http://usa.denon.com/US/Product/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?catalog=DenonNA_US&PCatId=RefurbishedProCat(DenonNA)&CatId=AVReceiversRef(DenonNA)&Pid=AVR391(DenonNA)&IsRef=1
Subwoofer:
Onkyo SKW204
http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=SKW-204&class=Speaker
Front speakers:
Martin Logan Motion 10's
http://www.martinlogan.com/motionSeries/models/motion-10-12.php
Center channel and rear speakers:
Martin Logan MLT-2
http://www.martinlogan.com/products/mlt2
Ok so my questions are...
1. On the Denon there are settings to set the size of your speakers.. for the center channel should I use "Small" or "Large" ? It is a good bit larger than the HTiB one I had before but I do not know if the MLT-2 center is classified as a large.
2. Also on the Denon there is a setting for the subwoofer mode and my choices are "LFE" or "LFE+main". Apparently the latter setting adds the low range of all channels to the sub which makes me think the LFE is the better choice for my setup.. however there is a note on the Denon manual that says if both front and center speakers are set to "large" no sound may be output from the subwoofer if LFE setting is selected? I suppose if the answer to my 1st question is "small" for the center channel, then I should choose LFE+main?
Any advice is greatly appreciated!!! Any other recommendations are welcome as well!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Set all the speakers to Small and the subwoofer to LFE+ Mains. This will send the deep bass to the subwoofer where it belongs. Even thought the fronts are towers and the center is bigger than your last one they still can't re-produce the lower tones as well as a subwoofer, even a modest Onkyo sub (no offense :) ). The Martin Logan Motion 10's only go down to 65 hz so I wouldn't set the crossover any lower than 80. The center speaker only goes to 130 and the surrounds to 110. Always set the crossover a bit higher than the speakers lowest frequency response to prevent damaging them. I'd say 150 and 120 respectively.

passplay

Auditioning
Real Name
pass
gene c said:
Set all the speakers to Small and the subwoofer to LFE+ Mains. This will send the deep bass to the subwoofer where it belongs. Even thought the fronts are towers and the center is bigger than your last one they still can't re-produce the lower tones as well as a subwoofer, even a modest Onkyo sub (no offense :) ). The Martin Logan Motion 10's only go down to 65 hz so I wouldn't set the crossover any lower than 80. The center speaker only goes to 130 and the surrounds to 110. Always set the crossover a bit higher than the speakers lowest frequency response to prevent damaging them. I'd say 150 and 120 respectively.
No offense taken at all! This is my first foray into a decent entry level system (as opposed to HTiB) and I have been trying to get the best value for everything which is why it took so long. My total out of pocket for this system was only $594 which I am proud of :)
I am trying your recommended settings now (everything you said makes sense).. thank you!
I had not even looked at the crossover settings and everything was set to 80 by default (except the sub LFE which was at 120 which I believe is the recommended setting from both Denon and Onkyo). Everything still sounds fantastic to my untrained ear so I am hoping nothing has been damaged, and I now have your recommended settings in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks