New SAVING PRIVATE RYAN S.E coming soon?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by YANG, Aug 7, 2003.

1. YANG

YANG Second Unit

2. Bill J

Bill J Producer

It looks like the only new feature for that R2 disc is the "Return to Normandy" documentary. I hope that Dreamworks will someday revisit Saving Private Ryan for a new R1 DVD, because I would really like to see the deleted scenes. A Spielberg commentary is unlikely, but I am sure additional cast and crew interviews could be made available.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Thread title edited. Most people wouldn't recognize the abbreviation "S.P.R.S.E.", and it's generally better to spell out film titles in thread titles.

M.

4. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

I wonder if this will be on the R3 2 disc version. I'd totally swipe that up.

5. Mikko-Ville

Mikko-Ville Stunt Coordinator

Return to Normandy -featurette won't be on the R3 Korean LE. I sent an email asking about it to koreandvds.com and they confirmed it from Paramount Korea.

6. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

William Goldman will be delighted! [​IMG]

Gordy

7. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I'm perfectly happy with my DTS region 1 version. From a video/audio standpoint, it can't get better.

8. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

9. Bill Burns

Bill Burns Supporting Actor

Spielberg has said that he has deleted materials for many (perhaps all?) of his films in private storage, and that he refers to these materials for his own purposes from time to time, but he has expressed an unwillingness to offer them to the public for consumption -- presumably in the fear that they'd detract from the primary film experience, a concern which I believe is also at the heart of his unwillingness to do commentaries, or to allow commentaries from others (actors, producers, etc.) on his films.

I wouldn't count on deleted scenes for Saving Private Ryan anytime soon. The current Dreamworks DVDs (both DD and DTS) are generally excellent, so I'd be very surprised if a new edition were okayed in Region 1 strictly for the inclusion of a documentary. That's the sort of thing I'd associate with what I affectionately call a marketing ploy, and I'd only anticipate such a thing if, say, another major film about the Normandy landing were ready to hit theatres ("optimizing a release strategy to take full advantage of public awareness/interest").

10. Tom De Rosa

Tom De Rosa Stunt Coordinator

Why not get a 60th Anniversary Normandy Edition ready for next year?

Seems feasible and a shrewd marketing move.

11. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    Heres the thing about Spielberg that always bugged me. He never does commentaries, yet on the Lawrence of Arabia DVD, he talks about how great it was to sit next to David Lean and here lean talk about LOA as it played on the screen! He even refers to this as being like the commentaries on DVD!

So, he enjoys commentaries, just not on his own films. Don't get me wrong, I respect a directors wish on how they wants their films viewed, I just thought it strange.

That said, I guess I'll hold off a little longer on buying this in R1 in case of a re-release. I think its Dream Works released by universal, so it wouldn't be the first time they doubled dipped.

12. Bill J

Bill J Producer

13. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray

14. Bill Burns

Bill J:

This was my specific "source":

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#0130

Spielberg hasn't supported deleted scene or outtake supplements on the DVDs of anything he's made in the last twenty or more years, to my knowledge: I think the two films you name and 1941 are the only Spielberg-directed films on DVD to sport deleted scenes, and of course Close Encounters is a strange beast in that it's had multiple cuts available to the public as well.

A no deletions, no gag reels, no outtakes, no commentaries approach to home video is not one I personally endorse or feel to be in the best service of the films themselves (no, I'm not advocating a gag reel on his serious dramas [​IMG]), but hey ... it's Spielberg, and yes, he makes occasional bad decisions, but when he makes good decisions as a filmmaker they're so good that it's hard to hark on the bad ones. Maybe he'll open up a bit more on HD-DVD (in the hopes Van Ling is mistaken and the HD-DVD strategy will not prove supplement poor). I'd personally love it if deleted scenes showed up in the supplements for Indiana Jones this October, incidentally, and as far as subject matter which seems perfectly suited to a more casual, "throw everything at 'em" abandon, I can think of none better, but ... well, at least the films are great, and should look and sound great on disc. I can only complain just so loudly.

Tom: that's an excellent idea; somehow or another I'd overlooked that the anniversary is next year. They may hold off for the 65th and HD-DVD, but a 60th would be welcome. They need to do something more than add a single documentary, though -- perhaps take it to two discs and offer a classic Universal WWII film as well, one not yet on DVD ... perhaps a favorite of Mr. Spielberg himself? Someone better versed in Universal's WWII output might have a suggestion off hand, but the titles occurring to me at the moment all seem to be Fox, Republic, and WB pictures. Anyway, Universal has used a similar strategy in the past, but I don't know what their specific relationship with Dreamworks is on this release, and whether such a double feature presentation would be possible -- but that's just one idea, assuming Spielberg has no change of heart concerning deleted scenes or commentaries).

Ray: I tried that link and the site seems to be down for maintenance at the moment. I'll try again later, but forgive me if anything above is otherwise addressed thereon.

15. Sam E. Torres

Sam E. Torres Second Unit

lost world had deleted scenes.

16. Bill Burns

I stand corrected. He's denied such to all but one of the films he's made in the last twenty years. [​IMG] I have The Lost World: Jurassic Park, but haven't watched the supplements yet. Are we talking about significant deletions, or just one or two brief sequences? The Digital Bits reports thirty minutes deleted from Catch Me If You Can and "a good hour" from Schindler's List in the above link, but Spielberg apparently doesn't feel that material should be on DVD (outside of his own home, that is, where that same report says he does archive some of this material on DVD for his own reference).

It sounds like I'm picking nits with one of the greatest filmmakers of our era, and really, I'm not -- I'm thrilled that some deleted material has been made available, and I'm content with each film as its maker wishes us to have it. But reports (ah, reports ... funny animals, they) suggest there's a great deal of additional material he feels is worth keeping around for his own purposes, but not worth presenting to the audience of those films, and such news always leaves one intrigued and hopeful for a policy turnaround in the future (many of the films in question are, of course, among the best films of the last few decades, yet seem oddly underwhelming -- not in content, but rather in presentation -- when held against lesser films with such thorough "documentation" on disc: commentaries, subtitle fact tracks, seamlessly branched alternate cuts, deleted scenes, gag reels, outtakes ... the format has spoiled film aficionados, but I truly believe that's a good thing).

17. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I think there is a lot of deleted material from Saving Private Ryan, so I guess that could be one of the reasons it was included. In the film Barry Pepper says "remember we left those .88s," which refers to an entire segment of the film that was excluded. I have read an early draft of the screenplay and have seen photos involving a jeep. I wouldn't even be surprised if there are additional Omaha Beach scenes.

Spielberg's battle sequences are so moving, I just can't get tired of them. I am really looking forward to his new World War II miniseries in the Pacific. [​IMG] [​IMG]

I also wouldn't mind seeing a Longest Day special edition for the D-Day anniversary.

18. Bill Burns

Ah, I should have checked the DVD sites for the day -- it looks as if Indiana Jones will offer at least a few bits of deleted footage and select outakes (this report and another I now recall from a few weeks ago say the vaults have been "raided" -- wait, that's a pun, isn't it? [​IMG] -- but I'll believe it when I see it; I'd expect select material for each film, but I'll be shocked if the outtakes and deletions are extensive):

The Digital Bits: Yesterday's Update

But perhaps this further bodes that the turnaround is slowly taking place? Is there hope for some deleted material on Schindler's List and any reissue of Ryan? Maybe, maybe .... Now if only a considered commentary could be approved -- Lucas does them for his own Star Wars pictures, after all, but no such luck on Indiana.

Bill J: an anamorphic The Longest Day would be a fantastic re-release, and about as big a "no brainer" on the 60th as I can imagine. Hopefully it'll come to pass. [​IMG]

19. wally

wally Second Unit

20. Bill J

Bill J Producer

Here is a little info on it. Unfortunately, it could be a while before it makes it unto television since it appears to only be in the development stage. According to IMDB it may not be released until 2005, which is a long time to wait.