What's new

New Samsung DLP= Bad Pic Quality? (1 Viewer)

Chris.CA

Auditioning
:frowning: I saw the new Samsung DLP's and fell in love. Went back the next day to buy one.While they were checking to see if it was in stock, I actually sat and watched it closely. They were running the Samsung demo DVD. I noticed that it had and incredible amount of digital artifacts everywhere. I had them switch to an HDTV source and it still did the same. Sports were the worst. Any player moving on the screen was distorted and blurry. You could not even make out the jersey number. If he stood still the picture would clear up.When he would move it was back to blurry. All other sets around the DLP were clear enough to see the jersey numbers. I have now been to Best Buy, Circuit City & Sound Advice. All DLP sets at all locations are the same. During action sequences they are the worst. Blurry and fuzzy until the enhancement circuit kicks in.The problem is it only kicks in when the action is slow or stopped.Then you actually see what looks like a digital mosaic clear up. Any one else see this?

Todd Alexander

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, I've seen the same ting at a local shop. I will probably get an HDTV in about a year, after the next gen comes out. I had been looking to get one now, but there are too many types out there and it seems too many issues with them. Prices are falling, new technology is out every other day it seems, so I am going to wait.

I saw the same exact model Samsung you are refering to. There was a scene with a guy and his face was not well lit. What this TV did was use two shades of dark gray in a large blocky pattern to fill in what would have been his face. Almost what you would expect if black and white gameboy tried to draw a face. It was very ugly and surprised me. It's things like that just made me hit the brakes and wait.

-Todd

Chris.CA

Auditioning
Every salesman has been trying to convince me that it is only me that sees this. You are absolutely right about the Game Boy description. If you spend time with these sets you will even notice more. If you look closely there is always video noise on the screen. It looks like there is a very fine piece of screen from a home window moving in the background all the time.
I finally got a sales person to admit what he sees. But his answer to me was" If I told people what I really see, we would never sell any."
The models I looked at were all the new HLN models.

Don Petsche

Agent
Do you know if Digital NR, Film, and DNIe were enabled for the sources you were viewing? That and an analog cable signal booster cleaned things up for me. . .tweaking the contrast, brightness and killing sharpness (DLP plenty sharp) also helped. I'm in my first week of a 30 day return policy and before these tweaks I was ready to take the set back to the store...

Chris.CA

Auditioning
Don, It is possible you could be right. Best Buy and Circuit City claimed the sets were adjusted, but would not let me play with them. In fact 2 stores had missing remotes. In Sound Advice the salesman told me that he personally spent 2-3 hours adjusting the set himself. It looked just as bad as BB & CC.
I am really interested with how you are doing with yours and are watching your thread frequently. I went to 3 Best Buys, 2 Sound Advice and 2 Circuit City stores. That tells you how bad I wanted to see this set with a good picture.
I must also add, believe it or not at one Best Buy is where I found the most knowledgable sales person.
He actually spewed facts out of his mouth.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks