What's new

New RType game for PS2 (1 Viewer)

EdR

Second Unit
Mmm, R-Type. The last time I played R-Type was in the arcade about 15 years ago. Great game, I'd buy this in a heartbeat if it came to the US.

Scott_E

Stunt Coordinator
We are also getting a Gradius for the PS2!! Its a good time to be a fan of shooters!!!

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
Damn I didn't know about this OR Gradius!!! I'm stoked! Bring back 80's gameplay!!! I loved Contra: SS btw.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Not only is a new Gradius on the way, Dean, but Treasure are on the case.

Woo, and indeed, Hoo!

Ikaruga is just the dogs round bits, frankly.

Though I really need to find myself a DC or GC arcade stick at some point.

paul h

Supporting Actor
The screenshots on the website look very tasty, if it's anywhere near as good as Einhander then i'll be happy :D

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Let me second or third that WOOHOO! Gradius and now a new R-type. Gonna have me a shooter revival at my house:D

JamesH

Supporting Actor
I never could get into Einhander, R-Type, and Gradius.

Hopefully sometime down the line, we'll get Thunder Force 6 and a TRUE sequel to Radiant Silvergun(presentation similarities aside, Ikaruga ISN'T it). Hopefully Capcom is thinking about more Giga Wing and Mars Matrix too.

What I'd REALLY like to see though, is a sequel to G. Darius. It was hands down the most technically impressive shooter on the PSX, and I'd love to see what THQ could do with some new hardware. Add in the fact that Darius games always have great replay value since they have around 30 levels with branching paths, and the innovative weapon systems can't be discounted either.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Hopefully sometime down the line, we'll get Thunder Force 6 and a TRUE sequel to Radiant Silvergun(presentation similarities aside, Ikaruga ISN'T it).
Treasure has a policy against doing sequels (although they may do some remakes for the GBA). Ikaruga is probably the closest you're going to get to RS2.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
Considering that Capcom makes and publishes Giga Wing and Mars Matrix, I don't think Psyiko has much say in the matter.

Also, I don't know if you noticed this, but Taito leaves about 95% of its games over in Japan, so it would most likely be THQ bringing it over to the US if they made another Darius game.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Considering that Capcom makes and publishes Giga Wing and Mars Matrix, I don't think Psyiko has much say in the matter.
Takumi made and released the arcade version of Mars Matrix in Japan; Capcom released it in the U.S. and also published the Dreamcast version.

There's a lot of contradictory info about Giga Wing but I suspect you're right about Psyiko not being involved, since I only found one website claiming Psyiko was the developer. On the other hand, there's a fairly large number of sites listing Takumi as the developer of that one as well, so I suspect they were involved somehow.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Also, I don't know if you noticed this, but Taito leaves about 95% of its games over in Japan, so it would most likely be THQ bringing it over to the US if they made another Darius game.
And who would /make/ that Darius sequel? THQ can't magically create a Darius game without Taito doing it first, which is why I suggested it might be /them/ that's critical to the process, not THQ.

Anyway. New RType. Good.

paul h

Supporting Actor
IGN have a small R-Type Final movie up, there's no sound but it's enough to bring back those memories!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread