What's new

New RPTV - need advice (1 Viewer)

Last week I received the new Toshiba 51H83 Widescreen RPTV. I love the set but had a couple of questions. When using Avia to perform a basic video calibration I have to turn the brightness up to 83 in order to see one of the moving black bars. The room lighting was moderately dark when I performed the calibration. Is this going to shorten the life of the set?

On another note, I currently have a non HDTV cable signal coming into the set and would like to add over the air HDTV however my landlord will not allow me to mount a dish so I was hoping I could capture some OTA broadcasts with an indoor antennae (I am only 5 miles outside of Boston). What equipment would you recommend I purchase in order to receive HDTV in this manner and does it matter that this set now incorporates some funky DVI input in the back and how does that effect any of my decisions? Thanks.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

High brightness will have a neglgible effect on TV life. High contrast ... quite the opposite.

It just means your SErvice level brightness was set on the low side ... happens on occasion.

Regards

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Mark,

If you have Comcast cable, you can receive their HDTV box for an extra $2 a month and receive ABC, NBC, HBO, Showtime and PBSHD from them.

KevinFC

Stunt Coordinator
Federal law? Really? because half the apartment complexes here in Vegas wont let you do it.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
Federal law prohibits your landlord from preventing you installing a satellite dish.
This is correct. Kevin, they can prevent you from attaching it to their property. They can't stop you from using a freestanding structure to mount your dish on. I believe this is how the law reads pretty much everywhere. Correct me if I'm wrong, guys.

Adrian D

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adrian
Mark,
I am thinking very hard about purchasing that exact same TV soon. Do you mind saying where you bought it and the cost?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks