What's new

New RPTV just popped and then turned off and back on? Is this normal? (1 Viewer)

Brian Price

Stunt Coordinator
Have had a Toshiba widescreen rptv for just over a week. Just a short time ago there was a pop from it and it went off, then it came back on. Anybody know what this is? Is this a problem?? Should I be concerned?? Thanks.

Brian Price

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Brian,

This was explained to me by a tv technician a while back-- sometimes occurs when an impurity or tiny dust particle inside the top surface of the crt (they're mounted facing upwards) falls down into the neck and gets zapped. The set will flash off or the picture will craze for a split second, often accompanied by a popping or spitting sound. I've had 4 rptvs, 2 of them did this intermittently (once every week or 2) during the first few months of use, 2 never did it at all. The technician I talked to said that when this occurs really frequently on an older set, it's a sign that the crts are about shot.

This is the most likely explanation, but if it starts happening with increasing frequency it may have some other cause and you might want to consult a service tech.

Brent_H

Second Unit
the panasonic users call this the "evil-pop" and I guess its completely "normal." its supposed to happen in like the first 75 hours of use, so dont worry about it. each gun will pop too I guess....?

I had a GE RPTV. It did this. When it started, it was about once every two weeks. As time went by, it ended up being once a day. About a year after I bought the TV, it went off and wouldn't come back on. The TV repairman said there was a crack in the power board. Cost about $160 to fix, and I haven't had the problem since. I was stupid for waiting as long as I did, warrenty would have taken care of this. If I were you, I might take it back or have it checked out.

Brian Price

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm, this worries me a little bit. I hate to take it back but at the same time I don't want a defective tv. Some say this is a normal thing, others say it's a problem. Not sure what to do.

Brian Price

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
FWIW, my Pioneer 533 has done this a couple times in the month that I have owned it.

There is a note in the users manual that said it is normal, although they do NOT explain what it is. I think they refer to it as a "discharge" or words to that affect.

In my case, the set does not appear to turn off, but the screen goes fully green for a second or two, then back to normal.

BL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks