What's new

New release of The Return Of The Pink Panther (1 Viewer)

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
How come Deep Discount DVD dot com does not stock these new releases with the new black package design?

Huh.

MC

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Gotta bump this up because I'm confused, as usual.

The new black packaging for this single-disc release denotes a pickup of the ANAMORPHIC prints used in the boxed set, correct?

I can not figure this out, and don't want to rebuy this title without understanding this. (Plus, I still can't understand why DDDvd.com doesn't seem to show this product. Any info on that?)

Hope someone can help. Thanks!

MC

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
the movies in the latex set from a few years ago have been duplicated as single disc releases now.
whatever was on the disc in that set is also on the single disc version.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
I picked up a couple of the new MGM titles ('Shot in the Dark' and 'Strikes Again') the other day. Although the menus are a pretty chintzy, the remasters look really good to my eye. 'Shot' especially is a substantial improvement...I remember the print on the previous disc went completely yellow at a few points. Since the "middle three" are my favorites, I have to track down 'Return'...which is proving a little rarer on the shelves around here.

P.S. Slow-motion battles with Cato remain some of the funniest things on film.

John H Ross

Screenwriter

Have these been remastered again since the previous Panther box set? I assume they'd be the same prints, just re-packaged...?

JR

Joel Stein

Stunt Coordinator
Wait, do you mean it is an improvement over the original DVD release of 'Shot' from 1999, or are you saying that it is an improvement over 'Shot' from the box set of 2004?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
yes, patrick h. please be more specific because as far as i can tell from reading different discussions these new black boxes are exactly the same as the latex box.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
There were multiple trailers made for RETURN OF THE PINK PANTER, 3 I think. One of them did consist of outtakes of the cast breaking up and laughing during lines, and the other two were standard clip reels with narration.

Only one of the clip reel type trailers were included on the old Artisan disc.

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
Was wondering if anyone picked up the Alan Arkin film Inspector Clouseau anywhere? This is the only DVD I can't locate at any B&M.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I hope I'm not dragging things too far off topic, but is the latest single release of "Shot" much better than the original release? I'm guessing the PP fans are reading this thread. I watch it fairly often, my favorite in the series along with "Return", and the original DVD does have a large amount of scratches and specks etc. in most scenes, but some scenes look very decent. This newest release is very cheap, but I'm just trying to make sure it is "cleaned up" without the good stuff of the original disc transfer being compromised (excessive filtering or somesuch). Thanks.

I have had absolutely no luck finding "Return" in a local B&M. I will have to order it online from the U.S. it seems.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
Sorry, I should clarify...presumably, these ARE the exact same discs as the boxed set from a year or so ago. I didn't get the set because I only wanted three of the films, and only two of those were included there. So these new releases are the first chance I've had to see the newer transfers. My basis for comparison for 'Shot' was the original 1999 disc. While the new one isn't entirely flawless, it's a vast improvement over the older transfer just in terms of the condition of the print used. It's a respectable-looking presentation of a 40-year-old film, with both the original mono and a decent 5.1 expansion to boot.

"The pheune is ringing..."
[beats Cato unconcious]
"...relax, I'll get it..."

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
BINGO. There's the info I was looking for. Especially if, by "these," you mean the new black-packaged releases. I didn't want the box set, but I need to rebuy the original film in an anamorphic presentation. So, [wipes sweat from brow, rolls up sleeves] I will now find out where to get this black-packaged, single disc version of the original PINK PANTHER....

How come Deep Discount DVD dot com doesn't stock these things? What's with that?

(Reading thru this thread, it sort of strikes me that if you read it in a mock french accent it could be a slapstick PINK PANTHEResque routine, no? Oui!)

MC

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Micah: try Wal-Mart. All the Marts around here (not that they're near you!) have displays of all the "black" PP titles for very cheap.

Jay*W

Second Unit
Paul,

Wal-Mart and Sam's are carrying the Arkin/INSPECTOR CLOUSEAU disc with the other Pink Panther titles (but, strangely, they are not carrying the SON OF THE PINK PANTHER disc).

Jay

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Oh I know you guys HATE this thread. You hate it. I add to it, it goes away. I add to it, it goes away. No good info here. Nobody wants to know anything about this. Well, here I am with some great goddamn definitive information.

I got the newly released, single disc, black-packaging version of the original PINK PANTHER, and I am happy to report that it is ANAMORPHIC and a fine print of the film with a commentary track, to boot. This is the version from the box set, but without the box and without the set. I am overjoyed to find it at Sam's Club for under $10 (they had the whole lot of them, as noted above), and happy to replace my yucky non-anamorphic previous-version DVD. Sad, tho, at the lack of goddamn insert in this new version, but I'll just filch that insert before I sell off the old version.

So here is the definitive statement about the original PINK PANTHER. Get the version in the black packaging.

And a goddamn pox on Steve Martin for thinking he needed to "remake" this. Take away his fame.

MC

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
Thanks Jay*W!

I was able to buy the later movies at Wal-Mart on release day. They never got Arkins/Clouseau and still don't have it or know when they may recieved stock. Even my Best Buy, Circuit City, Target, etc don't have that one DVD. I plan to order it online instead.

Guido Bibra

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe a bit back to the topic... finally got the new Universal disc of "Return", and it looks very good, almost like a Lowry restoration - a little grain, but excellent sharpness and a very clean picture. Sound is mono, but sounds equally good.

The old DVD looks like a bad VHS tape in comparison. Have a look: http://www.bibra-online.de/movie-compare-returnpp.htm

Even without any extras, this disc is really worth the upgrade if you like the movie!

Shawn DuHast

Stunt Coordinator
I too now have the new Universal/Focus DVD and agree with the above post and the comparison web site. It does look good, a bit softer than the MGM discs but clean and bright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks