What's new

New Red Dwarf DVD Details, delayed (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
At least for the UK, it's season 1 in November, and Season 2 in February 2003.
It has been confirmed that "CineLook" has not been used to kill the video look of the first season, and that detail is like never before
http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/deck01/dvd...ht_140602.html
Deleted scenes are on the discs such as the funeral sequence from "The End"
"The description of Rimmer's hobby of 'elbow-titting' - along with over 15 minutes of other deleted and extended scenes - will get their first public airing on the series I DVD. And one scene might just solve the problem of just why, at the end of Me2, Lister appears to select the wrong Rimmer for deletion!"
I'm guessing that we'll see a US release very close to those dates, and/or whenever we get the RD movie, currently (still!) shooting.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
"strike a light! IT'S GORDON!"
I truly can not wait for these... All these amazing DVDs coming, I'd say it's too much, but I am loving it! :)
Dan

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Anyone who doesn't buy these is a SMEEEEEE-HEEEEEEEEEDDDD...SMEEE-HEEEEE....SMEGHEAD!!!

My groinal socket is tingling with excitement!

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
Are you sure we should be putting these DVDs on Red Alert? It does mean changing the blub. :D
I can hardly wait!
Gregory

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Red Dwarf.co.uk updated with an article about the (in my opinion) typicaly tacky looking Region 2 cover art, and states that series 1 wont hit Region 1 until Feb 2003. You can guarantee the BBC will do better art for the R1s at least..

I'll probably break my rules and buy these R2, just to feel safer over the pace of their release. Be nice if in future good R1 owners could scan their art. I think the R1 art on Black Adder, League of Gentlemen is sooo much nicer than the R2. I am sure the R1 will see better art for RD.

Dan

Eric F

Screenwriter
Since I have an HTPC for playback, are there any advantages/disadvantages to purchasing the R2 version? I use WinDVD4 and it has a "Pal Truespeed" option now. What's that?

Chris M

Second Unit
PAL typically speeds up the movie by 4% by what I understand, so "truespeed" would sound like it's going to slow it down to display the movie properly on NTSC systems.

Damn, February!! That sucks!!

Sigh.

Chris.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
WinDVD4 has a PAL speedup compensator? COOL!

However, the series was shot on native PAL video. Speedup only happens on 24fps sources

Kryten isn't in until season 3 or 4, so he wouldn't be on these tracks

Chris M

Second Unit
Jeff... oh yeah! Been so long since I watched it... hehe :)
Thanks for the correction :D
Chris.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Ah, ok, so I guess the PAL version would be good for me. Now if we can get it priced the same...

I'm running it to an HDTV anyways, so I guess PAL speedup is a non-issue anyways.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
I believe Kryten's first appearance was in the first episode of the second series, appropriately titled "Kryten". Hopefully Robert Llewelyn will be on the commentary for the second series DVDs.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Hmm...I'm not actually certain that IS Robert Llewelyn as Kryten in episode 201, I'm watching it now...but hopefully whoever played Kryten will be on the commentary.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Yes, it is still an issue. There is no official progressive PAL spec, and even if there were ,the master is still 25fps and still has 4% speedup
I need some clarification on PAL titles. I got the impression from the thread that only PAL titles converted from NTSC format had the speedup. Since RD was recorded natively in the PAL format why would speedup be an issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.