What's new

New Receiver???? (1 Viewer)

Bud S.

Auditioning
I'm new to this forum and would like to say HI before I get into my question. I'm quite impressed with reading your posts. I must commend everyone for the friendly and helpful atmosphere consistantly displayed.

I'm shopping to replace an old Yamaha integrated amp system that I'm using because my Marantz SR-73 HT receiver (75w. front & cntr w/ 35w. surround)of about 5 years has decided to retire. I am using Definitive tech. center, surround speakers, w/ powered sub. and will replace my very old AR 98LS main speakers. I'm leaning strongly toward an H-K AVR 8000. I hear rave reviews from most owners. Looks like I could get one for $1300. High priced for me but would sacrifice for a value high end unit. I would appreciate opinions on this and other units that you might recommend. I long for more clarity and definition with the replacement reciever and main speakers.

Bud S.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Well to start you might post how much you are willing to spend and what you will be using it for HT/music...and what you want out of it.

Bud S.

Auditioning
Well to start you might post how much you are willing to spend and what you will be using it for HT/music...and what you want out of it.
I honestly didn't want to spend more than $800 for a receiver but would stretch to $1300 if the HK AVR 8000 is better than the price indicates:MSRP was about $2800. I've always compromised and have always wanted a higher end sound; good tight bass, clear highs, no sizzle/pop/buzz during quiet passages, a warmer less digital sound. I want great HT, and a system that will let me start listenng to my extensive old vinyl collection again. I use a MC cart. for my turntable and would like to use it again. Will I be able to integrate it into a HT type receiver with the array of digital inputs? I'm not willing to step up to the plate for separates right now.
Any help appreciated.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Hi Bud,

I recently replaced my Yamaha RX V995 with a AVR 8000. I am using a Def Tech Pro Cinema speaker system (4 ProMonitor 100, C2 center channel, Pro Sub 100).

The improvement over the 995 was immediately obvious. I am not sure how to describe the difference other than to say the sound was much more life like and defined.

There are few things you should watch out for with the 8000. It is a big/heavy unit! I had to buy a new rack to accommodate it. Also, it does generate a lot more heat than the 995.

I got mine during one of the Onecall specials for about $1200 shipped. There was some talk that a lot of the units sold by Onecall had a buzzing sound coming from the center channel. Specifically, the units with a January 2002 manufacture date which mine is one. If I put my ear close to the speaker, I can hear a slight buzzing at about 6-8 inches away. However, at 12 inches or more it is inaudible. Plus, if any sound was actually coming out of the speaker, the buzz was completely drowned out even up close. Maybe other people had it worse than what I experienced, but for the me the buzzing is a non-issue.

I am really enjoying the AVR 8000 and if I had to do it all over again knowing what I now know, I would without hesitation.

Good luck with your search.

-Keith

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks