What's new

New Receiver Needed? (1 Viewer)

John Gavin

Auditioning
First post, so here goes... Putting together a new system. Waiting for Samsung 43" DLP tv and Wharfendale WH-2 center / bipolar rear combo. Just received new Harman Kardon DVD 25 player. Have 70's Dynaco A-35 speakers fronts that still sound great to my ears. My question is about my receiver a Denon AVR 1000, that only boasts Dolby Pro Logic 1. Will I notice a big difference with Pro Logic 2 and DTS decoding? I would think so as Pro Logic 1 only supports a mono signal to the rears! I am looking at the HK AVR 320 due to price and the impression the HK DVD 25 made on me when I played CDs this week. (still haven't played DVD... I'm waiting) also, I notice that the AVR 320 dosen't support phono inputs. I would think that I could plug my phono into audio aux? Thanks, and thanks for a great forum!

RobWil

Supporting Actor
I can vouch for the AVR 320 which I'm currently auditioning thanks to Circuit City's return policy...got a floor model for $399. Only problem is next time I went there they had an AVR 520 for $499...now I can't decide :angry:
One of these will replace my old HK AVR 25 which only has Dolby Prologic. I have them paired with an HK HD7600II cd player and the sound is very nice. In the past I've auditioned Denon, Yamaha, Kenwood and HK and find the HK is the best overall, IMO, of those for stereo and movies. The others are great for movies but not nearly as nice for music in 2-channel.
I don't think you can plug a phono into aux input. It's a different type of circuitry.

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
Check the deals section, there is an AVR525 (reconditioned) for $499 with free shipping. This is a great receiver IMO.

Harvey S

Grip
A phono signal is lower amplitude than other inputs and the frequency output of the phono cartrifge is skewed. You need a special phono input that is higher gain and does phono equalization. You can buy an external phono preamp and take its output into an aux input. They range in price from around $40 to $200 or more. Even the low end one is as good or better than what you'd likely get in a low to mid priced receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks