What's new

New receiver choices (1 Viewer)

Michael_Q

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking to buy a new receiver for my expanding HT setup. I don't know too much about receivers, so I am hoping to get some advice. I don't want to spend more than about $200 or so. Cheap? Yes, but I'm not the wealthiest member of the forum :)

Here are a couple of options I am considering:

Yamaha HTR-5830
Pioneer VSX-515-K
Onkyo TX-SR503
Denon AVR-685S

A couple of these I would have to buy refurbished, I think. Which of these is the best option? Any other general advice?

Paul Seyfarth

Stunt Coordinator
I would go with the Panasonic XR55, it's in your price range. Check out amazon.com

It's been getting rave reviews, it has great sound quality, detail and clarity. Plus has 3 component video inputs. If I were buying a receiver in the 200 dollar range I would get that one. Heck if I was buying a receiver for under like 600 bucks I would still go with it.

Michael_Q

Stunt Coordinator
The Panasonic really looks good. Thanks for the feedback. I am currently using Cambridge Soundworks speakers that were originally part of a 5.1 computer setup. It's a small room, so they do the trick, but I will upgrade those at some point too.

I am buying the receiver first because I don't have DTS decoding or enough inputs right now. The Panny appears to have 4 digital audio inputs, which is definitely enough.

MikeNg

Second Unit
Consider the HK AVR130Z at Harman Audio. For $50 more you could get the current model (AVR135).

One thing I like about the HK is the amplification. Even though this is their entry model, it has good quality amps. Not sure you could say the same about the other receivers.

Otherwise, the Panny seems to be a good choice.

Users who are viewing this thread