What's new

New PS3...Old Denon 2807...audio help! (1 Viewer)

Rick Westfall

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys,

Just hooked up the PS3 and using it as my Blu-Ray player. Popped in a disc and my Denon displayed "MultiChannel" something or other but never said Dolby digital even though that was chosen on the disc. Researched further to find out that the PS3 was set in Linear PCM instead of Bitstream. I changed to Bitstream and my receiver showed what it normally does "Dolby Digital" blah, blah, blah. My question is this. I know that PS3 had HDMI 1.3 ports. I know that my Denon is HDMI 1.1. I am using an HDMI cable. Should I let the PS3 do it's magic in Linear PCM mode and forget that my receiver isn't displaying what I'm use to seeing or is the fact that my receiver is not 1.3 compliant keeping the TrueHD audio from being realized? I can get past the stuff is says on the display as long as I'm hearing what I'm supposed to hear.

Clear as mud? Please help or suggest.

Thanks
Rick

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
In LPCM you are getting the full HD audio with the PS3 either doing the decoding of TrueHD/DD+ or using the uncompressed LPCM from the disks. If you set it to bitstream, the HD audio is converted to standard DD, which is lesser quality than the HD audio.

Rick Westfall

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Jeff. That is one piece to the puzzle. The only other question is this. If I leave the PS3 on LPCM, will I hear the full HD audio through my Denon receiver since it is not HDMI 1.3? Will it "display" all the sounds where it is supposed to? Center channel, LFE, surround, etc

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

The PS3 decodes all HD audio as best it can (it cannot decode DTS-HD Master Audio at this time) and sends it out as LPCM, so your receiver will see it as "Multichannel PCM". In order to "see" the audio codec being used displayed on the receiver, you'd need an HDMI 1.3 receiver that decodes HD codecs (TrueHD/DD+/DTS-HD etc) and a player that bitstreams the raw HD codecs with out decoding first. Neither your Denon nor the PS3 can so this. The PS3 may be able to bitstream in the future, but there is a question as to whether it can or not. So as of now, you are receiving HD audio, but the display on the receiver will always say "Multichannel PCM." In order to check which soundtrack is actually playing, you should check on the PS3 itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks