New Projects for Van?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Greg Mariotti, Sep 8, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Greg Mariotti

Greg Mariotti Stunt Coordinator

Hi Van. Just wondering what projects you are currently working on? Anything that you can share with us?

thanks

2. brap

brap Stunt Coordinator

Alisdair Edwards
    Being our guy on the inside for Lightstorm/Cameron projects, have you heard anything about a Strange Days on Blu-Ray? I know it's a little too low profile for the studios to spring for a Van Ling special treatment, but I'm wondering if you heard any ramblings regarding a transfer. All we have is right now for this underappreciated gem is a non-anamorphic DVD. Such a shame.

3. Van Ling

Van Ling Insider
    Insider

I really don't have any news on any of this, and frankly what the studio or Lightstorm does, I don't know unless they tell me. But maybe now that Kathryn Bigelow's latest film The Hurt Locker has gotten a lot of great critical praise, Fox will try to capitalize on Strange Days and give it some love. Kathryn is a very unique and talented director, and has been underappreciated for a long time.

V

4. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    I believe Strange Days was released in Europe late last year, i think it was either a French or German release and first reviews weren't positive as regards image quality. Mind you i don't put much faith in reviews and like to watch the film myself but it might be worth checking Amazon if you want to try importing from Europe.

5. HDvision

HDvision Screenwriter

David
    German release. The surrounds were swapped on the original language track, and the PQ is OK, it's the one transfert from the european anamorphic DVD from 2001.

I don't know, but personaly, I would vote for a law against using transferts more than 5 years old in HD. It looks, for sure, better than it ever did, but it's far from the best any recent transfert can afford.

6. HDvision

HDvision Screenwriter

David
    Anyone owning an iPad, there's a great Van Ling interview in the free issue of HDvision magazine for iPad, available to download in english language here

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hdvision/id408890744?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

If you are outside the US, the magazine is available in your local App Store, just search it in iTunes.