What's new

New projector opinion (1 Viewer)

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Hi everybody, Question for the forum: I have the opportunity to buy a projector for my newly constructing home theater (being built right now). I am working with a local Home Theater place and the owner is a friend of mine. My choice of projectors are the Sony BRAVIA VPL-VW70 (which is not a new model, but he's selling it to me $1000 less in NEW condition than the lowest refurb price I can find online) OR the Epson Power Lite Pro Cinema 9350 (for around $2k). They seem to be different grades of projector (considering the Song originally retailed for more than $6k). Thoughts? My room is going to be a dedicated room with no outside light. PS While I appreciate that there are a zillion different projectors to buy, these are the two I'm looking at.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I'd get the Epson, it's a better projector. Don't concern yourself with what the Sony's price WAS, it doesn't matter. Projector prices are dropping all the time.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
What do you think about the Epson makes it a better projector?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
The Epson is NEW, has a 3 year warranty, is much brighter than the Sony, and is a newer model. The Sony came out in 2008, and the Epson came out in 2010.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
you have to compare model year with same model year, while at the same time considering relative pricing. The technology is changing too fast to do otherwise.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Gregg Loewen said:
you have to compare model year with same model year, while at the same time considering relative pricing. The technology is changing too fast to do otherwise.
I'm not really sure what you mean.While I understand they coming from different years, how can I compare the two? They are both going to cost me the same at this point, while if I did not have a hookup, the Sony would cost me $1k-$2k more than the Epson. So price being equal, is there a better choice?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Adam_WM said:
I'm not really sure what you mean.While I understand they coming from different years, how can I compare the two? They are both going to cost me the same at this point, while if I did not have a hookup, the Sony would cost me $1k-$2k more than the Epson. So price being equal, is there a better choice?
Would you get any warranty with the Sony? How many hours are on the Sony?

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
The Sony is unused, it is NEW. I will get the factory warranty with it and if anything else is wrong, a family member works at a local Sony repair facility. :) EDIT: I should probably rephrase my original post... The Sony I am buying is NEW, not a refurb. He is selling it to me for about $2k, the same price as the new Epson. The cheapest price I can find online for the Sony is $3k refurbished. One place has it for I think $3600 new. So I'm saving a bunch of money...

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Out of those 2, I would get the Epson. Are these 2 your only choices? What size screen do you want? I'm asking because the Sony is below average in brightness. If you read the Sony's review at Projectorreviews.com he recommends not going larger than 100" diagonal(even in a totally dark room). It just isn't bright enough, even when the bulb is new. And when the bulb dims a little bit, you will not be happy.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I was originally going to get the Epson, but the Sony opportunity fell in my lap and I figured it seems to come from a higher level of projector so it may be stronger projector in terms of colors and processing power. My screen is only 103" and the projector will only be 12" away.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
It sounds like you're determined to get the Sony, so I hope it works out for you. When the bulb dims a little bit, you will not be happy. My first question to your friend/owner would be why is this "new" projector still for sale? I wouldn't want any projector that's been sitting around since 2008. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks