What's new

New Pioneer Elite DV-09 for $800. Is it worth it given today's technology? (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Www.harveyelectronics.com is advertising on its home page a "special purchase" of the Pioneer Elite DV-09 DVD player, which is enabling Harvey to blow them out for $800. I don't really need a DVD player as I am perfectly happy with my Sony DVP-C670D changer, but at $800, the DV-09 is tempting. Now, the DV-09 is outdated in the sense that it was a "reference model" as an interlaced player (no progressive scan output) that originally retailed for $2000. My question is how does the DV-09 stack up against other DVD players for $800? I realize there are plenty of progressive scan players out now, many of which sell for less than $800. However, I don't need progressive scan output. As an interlaced player, is the DV-09 worth $800, or can one get a similar quality player now for less? I realize you won't find a 40-lb. player or one that is probably is as good as the DV-09 on the audio side (i.e., with CDs) for $800, but my question really focuses on the video side of things. Thanks in advance.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Check out Link Removed site before purchasing one. You might check out their other reviews as well... some of the cheaper players did very well.
Greg

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
IMO, I don't think the DV-09 can compete on the video side with the current players from Panasonic (progressive or not). Not to mention better/newer user-friendly features and newer software. Also, I recall someone who has the $2k DV-09 saying that his newer $500 Panasonic DV-80 (last gen's) outperforms it in every way.
Audio for CDs? I thought you already have two SACD players and the PD-65? Upgrade your speakers yet? Also, my local 6th Ave chain has already lowered the price on DV-09 to $697, be sure prices will drop more. The only reason to buy the DV-09 now is as a collector's piece...to match other elite components (ie, CLD-97 LD or tape decks, etc) and if you have an analog TV for years to come. Yes, analog video and audio quality is still good, and build quality is great, but don't think it's state of the art (even at these discounted prices) by any means anymore.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Greg,
Thanks so much for providing the link. I have never read any comments about the '09 that were negative, yet the reviewers on Link Removed Thanks again for the link. It made for a very interesting read.
Ricky,
Re-read my post. It should be apparent to you that I was not looking at the DV-09 as a CD player. Though if I were, it shouldn't bother you. Nor should it bother you whether I buy new speakers or not. Frankly, I would rather you read my posts more carefully and stick to the subject at hand rather than pass judgment. That would be proper decorum on this board. I do appreciate your opinion of the DV-09 as a DVD player though. After all, that's the information I was looking for.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime
[Edited last by KeithH on July 11, 2001 at 07:27 PM]
[Edited last by KeithH on July 11, 2001 at 07:28 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread