What's new

New Peanuts DVD in March! (and an update to the Jan. DVD) (1 Viewer)

Daryl Stovall

Second Unit
Does anyone remember the C. B. Summer ep when they go to summer camp & Snoopy and Lucy compete in an arm-wrestling contest. They have'nt aired that ep in ages.

Steven Wesley

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Why do they even need to make "new" charlie brown cartoons?
Of course nothing is going to top the classic 3 Charlie Brown cartoons. They will forever be implanted in our heads as the best. However, I see nothing wrong with trying to keep the Peanuts relevant. Unlike revivals of other properties (such as "Cat in the Hat" or "Hulk" or whatever), Peanuts isn't limited to just television, thus I view the newer specials as merely an extension of the franchise, rather than a remaking of them. Granted, some of the more recent installments pretty much suck (the voice talent seems to be the thing that throws me off). I guess a good comparison might be The Muppets... Jim Henson is long gone, but last Christmas' new special made quite a splash for fans.

Personally, I like the original Charlie Brown Christmas because of the bold use of the real Christmas message that you probably would never seen on television today. It continually surprises me that it continues to get airplay :)

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Are you referring to the "Charlie Brown's Christmas Tales" that were added to the end of A Charlie Brown Christmas. That extension has been around for a few years, and frankly, I didn't find it that bad. I'd like to see that small segment on DVD sometime. It's definetely not as bad as It's Christmastime again, Charlie Brown.
Based on what I read, that extention was added so that the special would be one hour with commercials. This was done so that none of the original x-mas special would have to be edited out to leave time for more commercials.

James_M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
Anything from the 60's to the mid 80's is great classic Charlie Brown. All the new ones have too many frames added and the animation looks wierd. It's like the difference between new Charlie Brown comic strips and old ones. Some of the newer voices felt kind of off too. The summer camp one with the Masked Marvel is It's a Short Summer, Charlie Brown.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Personally, I like the original Charlie Brown Christmas because of the bold use of the real Christmas message that you probably would never seen on television today. It continually surprises me that it continues to get airplay
Agreed.

As long as they continue to show the 'classic' Peanuts holiday shows, I have no problem with the newer ones. Now if they ever try to drop the classics as the 'official' holiday episodes.....

Chris

Haden

Supporting Actor
Well all this talk about Peanuts on DVD has got me tempted to collect them myself. Can anyone post a list (or direct me to one online) that tells all the Peanuts specials that are currently on DVD (or confirmed for release in 2004). I need to know what all is out there if I'm going to start collecting.

Also is there a website online that has a good complete list of all specials ever made? Thanks

Haden

Supporting Actor
Thanks Dave. In addition to the 2 releases already announced for 2004, have there been any rumors of other releases for next year? I agree with the others above about the full-length movies such as Snoopy Come Home and Bon Voyage... I'm surprised these haven't been released yet. Seems like Paramount would have made them a priority over the less prominent TV specials.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Read this about "I want a dog for Christmas, Charlie Brown"...which basically is a talkative way of passing on what Steven Wesley said in post #17 of this thread!

And that's all we know so far...and that's probably all there is.

Haden

Supporting Actor
Hmm... that'll suck if that's the only 3 releases we get next year considering how much has yet to be released. They need to be shooting these out like one every 2-3 months. There's definitely enough demand for it.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Steven, it's a TVShowsOnDVD policy: give credit where it is due! :)

I too wish these would come out faster, but I don't know why they come out at this rate. For now I'm just glad they're coming out at all!

Haden

Supporting Actor
Reminds me of Rhino's old release rate for South Park episodes, or WB's release of Batman: The Animated Series. At this rate it would take several more years to get all the Peanuts specials and movies. Three DVDs a year is unacceptable when there's strong consumer demand for more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks