What's new

New Panasonic Plasma /Old Bose bookshelf speakers-HELP! (1 Viewer)

TBar

Auditioning
Real Name
Anthony
Purchased a new Panasonic TC-P42S1 plasma, have an older Pioneer VSX-452 reciever and Bose 4.2 bookshelf speakers with an Advent center channel. Everything worked with my old 32" Sony. Can't figure out how to hook up the tv / receiver / speakers. There's only one audio output on the tv and that's digital optical audio. Is there a way to make these two (tv and rec) compatible so the speakers work or do I have to pop for a new receiver and/or speakers? Any help is MUCH appreciated as I'm an old, 11 thumbs guy when it comes to this stuff. Thanks................TBar

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
What is your TV video source? If you have a digital cable or satellite box, then you should run the audio out from that into your receiver (not via the TV). If your receiver doesn't have a digital audio input (either coaxial/RCA or optical/Toslink) then you'll have to use stereo red/white analog and make do with Dolby ProLogic simulated surround. I would think that all digital cable boxes still have legacy analog stereo outputs, but perhaps that's not the case?

If for whatever reason you only have digital outputs from your source, and your receiver only has analog audio inputs, you'll need a digital to analog audio converter. There's one at Amazon.com for about $60.

TBar

Auditioning
Real Name
Anthony
Thanks Jason, For the moment I still have the analog cable box. I'll be getting my HD cable box Monday. I'll hook up per your post and see what happens.....maybe snap, crackle, pop and smoke! If everything works, I'll let you know, If not, we'll try again here. Thanks again Jason..........TBar

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks