What's new

New Panasonic DMP-BD55 Owner Needs Help (1 Viewer)

Don

Second Unit
evrey time i put a disc in. i'm still getting the black bars on the top and bottom is there a way or setting that i can do. to get rid of this problem. ?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Don,

Maybe I misunderstand your post, but why are you bothered by
the black bars? You do understand that most BD titles are presented
in their original aspect ratio, and pending on the title, will have the
black bars.

Now, I am almost positive that the Panny has a ZOOM feature that
eliminates the black bars, but most people would find it unethical
to use that feature as you are eliminating critical picture information
while distorting the image.

Don

Second Unit
R.E. when i seen the tv playing in BB they had pirates of the carribean on and it was full frame. meaning full widescreen not 4X3. i'll like to get it like that but without using the zoom feature. is there something that i can do with the remote to do this or are other Movies like this in their aspect ratio. i tryed the Bank Job on Blu Ray and then Tube on standard DVD same black Bars.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
All three of the movies you cite have an aspect ratio of 2.35:1. Widescreen TVs have an aspect ratio of 16:9 or 1.78:1. This means that those movies are wider than the screen on your TV. You have more or less three choices:
1.Watch the movie as the director, cinematographer and producers intended (meaning that you will have some blank space above at the top and bottom of the picture.
2.Zoom the picture, resulting in the loss of some of the frame one each end.
3.Use one of the automatic, fill-the-frame modes (mine has one titled “automatic”) that fill the frame with some distortion (fat or thin faces) and sometimes with a combination of distortion and loss of picture on the sides.

There is no way to completely fill a 16:9 display with a non-16:9 movie without the loss or some of the frame or distortion of the picture or both. You will probably be pleased with 1.85:1 movies that come pretty close to the 1.78:1 aspect ratio of your display.

Personally I’d never use a display set-up at any big box store as a source of expertise.

Don

Second Unit
Lew how can i get to the Automatic Mode on my TV i think i already have it set up. but would like to double check. Don,

Don

Second Unit
Mine has a couple that are Automatic but i'm not sure what to do or set up. i cant even Calibrate my Set. I'll hate to dish out more Money for Best Buy to Calibrate it. Especially since all they do is just push a few buttons on the cable remote.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks