What's new

New Outland DVD? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
As I mentioned earlier, this DVD was derived from the laser disc master, which was bad to begin with and made worse with compression.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Jeff - my query really had to do with the anamorphic labeling on the package and me mistakenly thinking it was non-anamorphic. Probably should have just deleted my whole post after I figgered it out! I don't think I've ever seen a movie start out non-anamorphic then switch after a few minutes...sure caught me out, the way I have the display set up. But I did notice the PQ in many scenes was way too "good", did not have that typical look of zoomed non-anamorphic, why I went back to check it later on. For instance, at the end when the two guys were fighting outside, the closeups of their faces/helmets (too bad the rest didn't look like that).

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I haven't watched this disc in years, but my recollection is that this was indeed nonanamorphic (incorrectly labelled), and a straight port of the LD transfer.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
The copy I got (WS/P&S flipper) definitely changes to anamorphic starting (edited) just after the opening setup with green typing on the screen. What they meant by "modified" is it's supposed to be 2.35:1 and it isn't after that part (it's 1.78-1.85:1). So guess what?, imdb was mostly wrong about the DVD AR...my goodness, have NEVER seen that before...

Edit: got another chance to look at this on the weekend. You guys are right, whatever the AR is, and I couldn't exactly figure that out, it is definitely not as specified on the package. And AR/format does change (on my version) just where I mentioned. The first 5-10 minutes were frightening as to PQ, but once past that I found it tolerable.

Bepaof8

Agent
Real Name
Pete
After reading this thread, I went to Amazon UK and found Outland WS along with Amazon Queen. I didn't notice that my order at DeepDD was for a full screen version. Even though I couldn't cancel my order, I appreciate the heads-up on Outland. (I also got some good info from DVDcompare.com.)
Pete

Robin_B

Stunt Coordinator

Are you talking UK R2 or some other release? I have the original R2 anamorphic release of Outland and the transfer is atrocious. One of the worst looking DVD's I own. Sure it's anamorphic but that's not saying much. So unless they got a new release with a new transfer then our ideas of acceptable are a bit different. How much better it is over the R1 I don't know because I haven't seen the R1 version but the R2 is nowhere near acceptable.

I don't know about restoration but a huge clean up to remove spots and scratches similar to what films like Raiders and Star Wars received is surely needed before it gets it's HD release.

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
a post over at amazon said the new DVD is nonanamorphic. it's probably just a reissue :frowning:

Eric Ten

Grip
Real Name
Eric Tengren
I have both versions of this dvd, and it is the same sucky transfer. save your money and hope for a re master eventually. cause this one really blows.

Doug:Li

Stunt Coordinator
I was really excited when they announced a reissue. So i picked it up. Well you guys were right. Same old NON ANAMORPHIC transfer, and the quality is sub-Vhs picture wise. I could deal with the anamorphic issue, but its so grainy and dirty, its like watching it on youtube. And I am using a 34 inch widescreen HDtv...

For shame Warners. You even label it as anamorphic. The movie deserves a decent transfer even if its bare bones release. This disc isn't even up to early dvd standards.

But it did come with a ticket to see I AM LEGEND. So thats good I suppose.

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
I just rewatched this DVD that I've had probably since it came out. It is without a doubt the worst transfer of any dvd I have ever seen, & I have over 2000 dvds. I can't believe I even watched it when it came out, but I guess I didn't know any better back then. I also can't believe they are reissuing this garbage in 2007.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
You're right, pulling this crap in 2007 is completely insane.

They should have just done a FS-only reissue, that way no one would looked twice at it except J6P.

Plus, the FS side probably looks a bit more solid compared to the weak, 4:3-encoded, LB side.

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
I wish they would have a decent FS release. that would be 10x better than the worthless WS. It's really a shame since this is a good movie & deserves better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks