What's new

New or Used Plasma? (1 Viewer)

I have seen the ViewSonic VPW425 42" Plasma Flat Panel HDTV-Ready TV used for $2400 and the Toshiba 50HP82 50" Plasma HDTV-Ready Flat Panel TV used for $1700. Is it safe to buy used Plasma screens? Or would it be better to go with a new rear projection screen for around the same price? Also, I don't know much about HDTV, if I don't watch TV, only play video games and watch wide screen dvd's then is there any benefit to having an hdtv tv? If rear projection would be better are there any models you would recommend? Thanks for the help.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't buy any used TV of any type. None are good values.

Yes, the newer ATSC technology is superior for all applications. Watching DVDs in 480p is preferable to watching them in 480i.

For the money you're looking to spend there are a number of fine options out there.

Also, wait a little while on plasma technology. It's not quite there yet (the black levels are not state of the art).

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Mike,

Plasma TVs are particularly tricky to buy used because of the possibility of screen burn-in. Definitely NEVER buy a used plasma site unseen. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks