What's new

New Oppo BDP-93 cabling question (1 Viewer)

Doug Smith

Second Unit
I've been out of the audio/'video loop recently. Fool as I was, I have been wasting too much time watching HDTV and DVD's! But, alas, my Toshiba 4800 gave up the ghost, so I broke down and bought the above Oppo. This player has been great so far! However, I have a couple of hookup questions. I have a Marantz 7300 receiver, and a 57"Toshiba HD rear projection TV (very, very, good). Anyway's neither the Marantz or TV have HDMI inputs or outputs. No problem. I've hooked up the Oppo to the TV via component jacks and set the video for 1080i - not as great as 1080p - but pretty spectacular anyways although no up-conversion possible.. I also hooked up the digital coaxial cable and the 7.1 (or in my case 5.1) analog cables to the Marantz. I thought I would be hooking up these analog cables only so that I can listen to my DVD Audio discs. But I have since heard that I should be listening to all Blue Ray material through these analog cables as well, because the Oppo converts Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master Audio internally and outputs it through the analog cables.

My question is - is this true, and will it give me better sound than going the traditional Dolby/DTS digital coaxial cable route?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
There are only two ways to get the lossless audio from Blu-ray - HDMI or multichannel analog outputs. Digital optical or digital coaxial will only carry lossy DD or DTS mixes (though likely at higher bitrates than their DVD counterparts).

Most likely, you're best off using the analog outputs - at least you'll start off with the best quality audio (it most definitely will be better than lossy DD or DTS). The only downside is that for some receivers, when using multichannel analog inputs, some or all of the signal processing (including bass management) is bypassed - meaning that you might lose some fine-tuning to the audio (I can't be certain if this is the case for your Marantz).

Doug Smith

Second Unit
Thanks for the advice Jason. There is some audio management for the multi-channel audio outputs through the Marantz - and surprisingly quite a bit of management through the Oppo. From now on my Blu-rays will be listened to via the analog route.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks