What's new

*New* "One Day" Movies Tournament (1 Viewer)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
But then Cries & Whispers isn't about "raising issues". It's an exploration of emotional pain and familial relationships and you can continue to bring up how much you think it sucks in every possible out of context way you can, but it doesn't change the fact that it is a great film. One that you simply don't appreciate. Just like I don't care for L'Avventura but that doesn't change the fact that it is held as one of the great works of cinema. But I also don't shove my dislike for it down everyone's throat daily. I think everyone here is well past the point of getting that you hate Cries & Whispers.
Steve, I think that Tsai is one of the best filmmakers currently working. The amount of time he's willing to hold a shot takes some getting used to, he's a difficult director to appreciate, but I love the fact that he has adopted a signature style and his films don't look like 95% of everything else out there.
Dr. Strangelove

JenB

Screenwriter
Groundhog Day better fits the theme and is a great movie although Strangelove is great too.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Groundhog Day better fits the theme and is a great movie
I agree with both sentiments. I was hoping it would win, because it really is the ultimate "One Day" movie. There's no doubt that Dr. Strangelove is the far superior movie (Kubrick vs. Ramis? No contest) but people are voting with their heads and not their hearts. :D
I'm not complaining, I'm glad Groundhog Day got as far as it did.
Voting will still be open for a couple more hours.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Two more votes would have had a tie, and I definitely would have broken the tie in favor of Groundhog Day. george, you never did vote for one or the other.
Your winner, 7-5, for the
Ultimate "One Day" Movie
is...
Dr. Strangelove Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Sorry Vickie, I got tied up in work, and even though I was leaning towards Groundhog Day it wouldn't have pushed it over. Great tourney though.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
Interesting that everybody thinks Groundhog Day is a better "one day" movie. I feel exactly the opposite, since it was really several days for Phil Connors, although it's technically the same day. (And by the way, that opinion never affected my voting.)

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
I agree, Gabe. As far as fitting the theme goes, Dr. Strangelove is much better. Although Groundhog Day is perhaps the best ironic (I'm sure that's a misuse of the word, but oh well) take on the theme.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks