What's new

New "Miami Vice" video game. Chance for a tie-in? (1 Viewer)

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
Rumours are that in late 2004 (just after the show celebrates its 20th aniversary) a new video game of "Miami Vice" will be released. Vice City which was also based on the show sold millions worldwide and has turned a new generation onto the show. A brand new offical game sounds like a great chance for a tie-in for a 1st season DVD boxset to me. Surely Universal will invest in the 1st Season at least, get it out with the game and then gauge the sales figures and make a descision on the remaining seasons. They can't let this chance slip through their fingers, can they?

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Once again, it is all about the cost prohibitive and complex music rights issue.

I'd love to see Miami Vice on DVD, especially since Universal did a nice job with Battlestar Galactica, but I'm not holding my breath. :frowning:

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Universal's business model on much of its catalog TV fare has been predicated upon cross-promotion. With Battlestar Galactica, for example, the TV show's DVD release was timed to come out at the same time as the recent miniseries. Same goes for The Hulk, the new movie and old TV show on DVD. By doing this, Universal helps promote a new related property (note that it released both items in each of my examples) and helps sales of the old item.

So, yes, the release of a Miami Vice video game does increase the likelihood of seeing the TV show on DVD. It depends on who is releasing the game and how big it's anticipated to be.

Also, on this particular TV show, clearing music rights might not be the obstacle that everyone thinks it is.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

That would be excellent news, if true.

I would very much like to see the bouncing jubblies of the intro in crystal clear digital quality. :D As you can see, said jubblies made quite an impression on a eleven year-old boy. ;)

Second Unit
I don't know how big they are expecting the game to be but recent games of "Starsky and Hutch" and "Knight Rider" have sold very well around the world. "Vice City" was massive and that was loosely based on Miami Vice. I reckon an offical game will do very well. Plus the show is 20 years old this september so if Universal plan to ever release the show on DVD the end of 2004 seems the ideal time to do it. Universal UK have expressed an interest in boxsets of the show since 2002 but the music rights have to be taken care of from the USA's end if theres ever to be a worldwide commercial release. I was told £1million pounds for the worldwide copyright. I think the USA rights may be different. For some reason the USA when it comes to music is never considered to be in the world!

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Randy,

When you say the music rights may not be the big obstacle. Can you be more specific? Is it that it won't be as expensive for the rights or is their something else besides the music that is holding this up?

Thanks!

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
I can't be too much more specific. All I can add is that I talked to Universal for my article about how clearing music rights is the single biggest obstacle to releasing older TV shows on DVD--but it was all off the record. I couldn't use anything from it in the article.

I must reiterate, though, that Universal's cross-promotion business model is the driving force behind its TV releases on DVD.

Second Unit
I'm working my ass off on this Miami Vice on DVD campaign. Hopefully the emails and letters should start flooding into Universal soon. I've been in contact with a few sites. Its the best I can do. I'm only one man. One man with a dream...:D

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Craig,

The show will probably come out. I just spent the last 5 months recording the show on dvd. And usually after I make dvd's. The shows come out.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I love this show and Tivo it everyday. It would be great to have it on DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks