What's new

New Mary Poppins Dvd (1 Viewer)

John Knowles

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
I always figured that the current DVD was the same transfer/sound mix as the most recent LD (Archive Edition or whatnot)....but it sounds like there are some differences. Glad I've kept mine as it has more bonuses. Still, I'd welcome a better DVD.

DeeF

Screenwriter
I saw West Side Story in 1981, in a 70-mm print at the Scera Theater in Orem, Utah. There was an intermission. An intermission seems completely necessary to me, after the rumble.

SteveP

Second Unit
Was MARY POPPINS a true roadshow release in the US market?

Don't recall it as such--in those days Radio City Music Hall only had reserved seats in the first mezzanine.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Was MARY POPPINS a true roadshow release in the US market
I don't think so. In those days some movies, particularly in major metro markets, opened in a few select theatres in a non roadshow manner rather then 2500 screens as they do now. Roadshows usually had reserved seats.

BBbrowd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
It's good news that Lowry Digital are the ones who did a new restoration on Mary Poppins. They did the new print for the DVD release of "Snow White", so it's a good chance that we'll get something great for Poppins now. That's what I'm hoping at least.

The restoration for Poppins that was done a few years back for the first DVD release was not a good job by any means. It was a much more detailed and cleaner print than what we'd seen on video and laser disc, but the colors were all off. I agree that the faces look like mud. It was highly disappointing. At one point during the film, the whole scene goes out of whack. It's the scene when they are about to climb the stairway of smoke to the top steeple. The whole screen goes red except for a blue spot in the top center. It does not return to normal until the descent back to the roof. I think Disney thought we would not notice because it takes place during the sunset sequence, but the original was not like that.

I'm so excited at the prospect of a double disc release for Mary Poppins. It is long overdue. It's by far one of the greatest films of all time, let alone the greatest Disney film, and they have not given it the attention it deserves.

Hopefully we will hear commentary by Julie and Dick. Julie Andrews has some great stories she has told about the making of Poppins that are amusing to say the least. She's really got a few gems that I hope she will include, especially the one when they dropped her too fast from the sky like a sack of potatoes. She hit the ground and used some "four letter British swear words that Disney had never heard before". It's a great story.

They should include things like all the great vintage merchandise and promo materials, like they did in the Vault Disney releases.

Any further information anyone has about the possible release would be greatly appreciated. I never knew that there was a blank screen overture and intermission music. This is very exciting. Mary Poppins deserves the royal treatment. I've got my fingers crossed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks