What's new

New Madonna: Defying Gravity 11/05 (1 Viewer)

CraigL

Screenwriter
Madonna has signed a $9.5 million deal to launch her own perfume range to coincide with the release of her new album Defying Gravity.
The Material Girl is following in the footsteps of fellow pop stars J.Lo and Britney by releasing her own scent - originally titled Madonna.
Both the perfume and new album - the follow-up to 2003’s American Life - have been carefully planned to simultaneously hit stores in November, ready for the Christmas shopping boom.
The Kabbalah devotee will be performing at London’s star-studded LIVE 8 gig in Hyde Park on 2 July.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
What's your source for this? As late as last week, Billboard.com was reporting that while Madonna has been in the studio recording, there was no info on the new CD or planned "Reinvention Tour" DVD.

CraigL

Screenwriter
Check most news sources including MTV. It's going all around the internet. Some are saying January for a release date though. And some are saying 8 tracks. Who knows what the exact amount will be.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
The MTV.com story only quoted an unnamed source from a British tabloid. Doing a Google search only brings up references to that tabloid story. Hardly the concrete information I was looking for...

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
IMHO, I think Britany and Madonna are both on the same bus to an early retirement.
:thumbsdown:

CraigL

Screenwriter
You're funny.

Madonna missed the bus to early retirement about 20-21 years ago.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Nice threadcrap. :rolleyes

And as Craig mentioned, ignorant threadcrap as well. Don't like Madonna? Fine - stay out of threads about her unless they're titled "Let's hear how much you hate Madonna". And find comments that make more sense than an implication Madonna is a flash in the pan. Last time I looked has-beens don't sell out entire arena tours and make five and a half MILLION in ticket sales per show.

And learn to spell too - who's "Britany"?

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

people have long loved to trash Madonna but she continues to get the last laugh.

People who put her and Britney in the same sentence are the ones the laugh is on. Madonna's definately past her heyday, but she's still kicking. I'm getting tired of the Kaballah obsession, but she's still making good music.

John Wielgosz

Stunt Coordinator
Craig, Colin, and Jay have already defended this well enough, but I just wanted to add this...

I didn't become a Madonna fan until around March 2001, a good 18 or so years after her first album. I caught up to speed so quickly that two months later I laid down serious money for the 'Drowned World' tour. Three years later I went all out for 'Re-Invention'.

Hardly a candidate for retirement. I can't wait to see what comes next.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

You know what? It's idiotic that we even "need" to defend Madonna in this territory. The woman remains one of the world's biggest stars more than 20 years after she first became a success and some idiot acts like she hasn't established herself. Britney's one thing - she's established a decent track record but obviously her longevity remains to be seen. Madonna's one of the biggest artists EVER and she's still enormously popular. The stupidity of the Madonna haters will never cease to amaze me...

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

very true, I know a lot of 40-50somethings who lived through Beatlemania have a hard time comprehending it. But to a generation of us between 25-35 or so... Madonna was our Beatles, she was the big icon of our lifetime.

However, to people who hate all things dance-pop, they refuse to see that to a certain age-group, that Madonna was just as important to us as The Beatles was to them. She, like The Beatles, like Elvis Presley, like Stevie Wonder, like David Bowie, like Aretha Franklin, like Prince, is a one-of-a-kind, she's been often imitated but never duplicated.

CraigL

Screenwriter
I feel that I need to start another thread about this but a friend and I always debate about who is greater: Michael Jackson or Madonna. I'd love to hear other people's thoughts about that. And let's stick to the music on that one. ;)

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I'd choose Madonna over MJ just sticking to the music. MJ had a period of greatness during Off The Wall and Thriller, and both Bad and Dangerous had some excellent tracks, but as far as I'm concerned, he quickly got into a rut and became really repetitive. Madonna OTOH has always managed to pick herself up when she's down, I have no doubt this cd will make up for American Life's disapointment commercially.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I don't see this as a contest - Maddy's much stronger than MJ. Admittedly, he has more natural talent, but she's put out a lot more material and has evolved as an artist. Musically, Michael from 1982 is pretty much the same as Michael from 2002. Same songs, same moves, same everything - except for his face.

Michael's coasted for the last 15 years, but Maddy's not rested on her laurels - she continues to put out quality new material and she challenges herself and her audience. Think MJ ever would have done as daring a show as "Drowned World"? Not when he can do the same dance moves from the "Motown 25th" "Billie Jean" for the eight millionth time... :rolleyes

(For the record: I still like some of MJ's music and used to be more of a fan, but over the last couple of decades, he's given me very little reason to care about him. His last US tour in 1988 was unmemorable - I saw Prince in the same time period and the Purple One put on a radically superior show - and I can't think of anything above average musically from MJ since the "Bad" era. And even THAT album wasn't too hot!)

Robert Powers

Stunt Coordinator
I grew up with the music of Madonna, Michael Jackson, and Prince. They had to be the biggest performers from the early eighties to the mid to late eightees. I love the music from all three so it would be hard to rank them in any specific order. I think the dedication and talent from all of these performers is pretty equal.

I have heard that MJ is considered to be the "King Of Pop". Now everyone knows that if there is a King then there must also be a Queen. Madonna deserves this crown more than any other female performer. Britney doesn't even come close (not even in the top ten).

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I'd like to see Madonna get off the dance rhythm thang and do realatively, acoustic music. I'd like to see her dabble in jazz. I think that would suit her.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor

He is "considered" that because in the early 90s, his PR folks sent out statements calling him the King of Pop. What arrogance. It was the same time that he had statues floating on water of himself to coincide with Dangerous' release I believe.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

They were huge, but you have to factor Springsteen in there as well. Born in the USA is the third-biggest-selling non-greatest-hits album of the Eighties, and he was awfully big that decade.

And U2 deserve a mention as well...

Robert Powers

Stunt Coordinator
Colin,

Yes I have to agree. Springsteen and U2 were huge in that decade.

I can't think of any musician in this decade that I would consider to be huge artists.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks