New Mac? Fix old Mac? Options?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by DaveF, Sep 27, 2013.

1. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    (It's now crashing hard in Safe Mode. I should go to Genius Bar as previously suggested.)

2. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I'd plan on buying something friday, best pricing of the year. Normally I suggest buying the day products come out to avoid being disappointed when they are updated a month or two down the road, but since Apple just updated everything, you are good to go!

3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Everything but the mini! :(

4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    But I'll watch BF. it might be a good time to buy the current mini.

5. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Ugh, that's right, sorry. I suspect the Mini will be radically transformed in 2014, but that might be wishful thinking on my part. I personally wouldn't recommend buying one until refresh. I'd seriously recommend the iMac if you simply must buy today, I understand the hesitation tho.... If you are going with a portable I'd recommend the 13" air. I "get" the pull of the Pros still but I believe the Air is perfectly capable of doing everything in the lineup, including photo editing, light video editing, and music. If you need more than what the Air can do you should be thinking of a desktop over portable anyway. JMNSHO.

6. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I only need a desktop (iPad and iPhone are my portable devices)Good advice. I don't need an iMac, and don't need to spend the extra $500 for integrated monitor. But my wife uses an iMac and is about due for an upgrade. I may get her a new iMac and take her current iMac until the mini is refreshed.

7. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Got a FireWire cable, and tried to transfer my account to my wife's iMac with Migration Assisstant. MA is crashing at the start of the transfer -- it seems a bug in MA in Mavericks. I then transferred it to my external drive using the iMac as middleman, running SuperDuper. I then got a 16GB thumb drive last night, set up a Mavericks install drive, reformatted my MBP, and am trying one last clean reinstall. I want to limp along to the mini refresh (I Believe!!!). If this reinstall fails this weekend, I'll probably buy a mac on BF.

8. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    And running a virus scan on the backup drive, to rule out that as the cause.

9. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer
    Supporter

David
    Keep us updated Dave and good luck.

10. bigshot

bigshot Cinematographer

Stephen
    My older Mac Mini would not do Mavericks without spontaneously restarting constantly. I went back and forth with Apple (they guarantee the install of Mavericks, so no charge). Finally I got them to put snow leopard back on and it works flawlessly again.

11. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Thanks. Unfortunately my problems go back to Mountain Lion. I thought mavericks solved them! but it was not so.Reinstalled. Ran a virus checker on my backup drive, with clean results. Migrated user settings, but not apps. Installing apps fresh. So far so good. But last time it ran fine for three days then starting crashing. Anyone know Intel's roadmap for the i3/i5/i7 line? My guess is the new mini will line up with the next CPU.

12. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    MBP has been stable for 24 hours; with a good day of mostly normal use. (Backup drives aren't connected. My suspicions are this is related to USB drives.) That's good, but not out of the woods yet. If I can get through a week, I'll feel more comfortable that I can eek out enough time to get to a planned upgrade.

13. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Nope.It is locking up spontaneously again.I'll try again to transfer my account to he other computer ... Though that was failing because of bugs in Migration Assisstant.

14. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I'm trapped. I can't get my computer to work stably. I can't get my account transferred to my wife's iMac.: Migration Assistant crashes every time within 30 sec of launch.Anyone know a manual account transfer method to avoid MA?It's almost enough to make a guy think of switching to Windows :/

15. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Take it to the Apple Store and have them help you migrate it. You are having too many issue to try to resolve it on your own with only the consumer level tools.

16. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Last effort, with initial success:

* Create root user on iMac and logon
    * Copy User folder from MBP (in Target Disk mode)
    * Create user account with same name

This copy would not work in a normal Admin account, but in Root it did. I'm logged into my transferred account and so far things look normal. Settings are transferred too, save for some applications.

17. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Transfer successful, it seems. I had to run Repair Drive in Disk Utility on both the Time. Machine and Main drive to get Time Machine going; it got confused by the iterations of 100GBs of data, I guess. But that's functional again.As a test, I wiped my MBP, clean reinstall, no user migration save for what iCloud does. It's locking up. So it's not my user data nor a corrupted driver from years of app cruft. This is really basic in the OS or my Mac hardware. These problems had started with Mt Lion, so it's not specific to early Mavericks upgrade. So likely a hardware problem.I'm hoping for a silent mini upgrade when the Pro is released this month. But if not, I'll probably buy the current mini regardless. I don't think I can wait indefinitely for an overdue refresh. I may pay extra for the i7. I've just learned the i7 is a big speed boost over the i5. (Or I'll buy one from Craigslist or eBay to save $200)

18. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    And the wife is demanding I get a new computer. Because she loves me and wants me to have nice things.And not at all because I'm a terrible person to share a computer with...

19. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    27"!!!!

20. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    :)That would be fun, but much more computer than I need these days.I've been experimenting with my MBP. I suspect there's something wrong with the USB ports causing it to crash.