What's new

New LN52A650 owner here. Initial impressions a a couple questions. (1 Viewer)

Adam_R

Second Unit
New LN52A650 owner here! I had a HL-S5687W that was repaired a few times until CC replaced it under their extended warranty.

Anyway, I did a bit of calibration and the picture is INCREDIBLE. My method is basically using "Just Scan" to get 1:1 pixel ratio and turning off all the extra processing garbage. Then use test patterns to get good contrast, brightness and color. I run a PS3 for games and Blu ray and a Xbox 360 for games. I set the TV's HDMI black level to normal and RGB to Full on the PS3 and Expanded (or whatever it's called) on the 360. Seems to be pretty damn awesome. I also turned the xvYCC on and it seemed to show better definition on the color scale test patterns I ran. I am not really clear on just what the impact of that setting is. An explanation would be appreciated.

Another question: Does the sound suck an all these sets, or is it mine? It's just so damn tinny and thin compared to the speakers in the HL-S5687W. I only use the built in speakers for cable TV viewing, so I don't demand anything amazing, but this thing sounds like crapola.

BTW - I ran the auto channel setup and low and behold, I get like 100 free HD/Digital channels. I don't pay for any digital cable, nor do I have a box. I guess Comcast broadcasts a LOT of unscrambled digital channels. I even get like 40 of those music channels. God bless QAM.

Anyway, I am THRILLED with the set so far. I have no "purple haze", and the few cloudy spots I saw have all but disappeared after calibration.

One last thing: Any of you guys use this company for an extended warranty? http://tapeworkstexas.com/mack_warranty_tv_only_.html

It looks like a pretty good deal and I have read good impressions on other forums. Thanks!

ksmani

Auditioning
Real Name
Mani
hi adam,

i am going to be a new owner soon ( may be to today evening)...
my Question to you is: do i need a home theater system? or the speakers of TV good enough for a room of 16'x 22' area. appreciate your reply soon.. and pls. write more about your experience.. thanks.

Adam_R

Second Unit

Short answer: No. You need a system. Of course this is an opinion. You may love the sound. I hate it.

More impressions: The TV is just spectacular. I have it calibrated fairly well. I use the Just Scan picture setting so it's 1:1 pixel ratio. Bluray are stunning, as are games from my 360 and PS3. It's pixel perfect.

ALL of the extra processing is off. I just wanted to start with the purest picture possible, so Dynamic Contrast, AMP, DNIE, and anything else Ic ould turn off is off.

In a dark room the black levels are fair, but with decent backlighting it's great in all but VERY dark scenes.

Regular analog cable signals look really good and the digital / HD signals (that i get for free thanks to the QAM tuner) look AMAZING as long as there's not too much fast motion. And that's Comcast's compression, not the TV.

ksmani

Auditioning
Real Name
Mani
thanks for the reply..

glitch.. (delivery glitch..), so the TV is coming in on tuesday, 23rd. followed by Onkyo TX-SR606 on wed, 24th. Followed by onkyo 750 (7.1) speaker on 2nd Jan 09 :-( in the mean time, i would connect my Wii and see how things are.. and I am excited about the QAM tuner .. hope it can does something for me too !! I have only highspeed internet, no tv channels so far.. will update as and when things happen in the next few days..

ksmani

Auditioning
Real Name
Mani
yeah, the QAM tuner works.. it is about 5 months now. Everything works great, the pictures great, the wii games look cool, got a PS3 as my DVD/Blue ray player, eventhough i havent played one single game in PS3. Blue ray pictures are excellent. Along with TXSR606, it rocks !! By the way, till now I have connected only 5.1 speakers, the 2 back speakers are sitting in the cupboard, becuase I ran out of speaker wire then. Later on, well it didnt happen. However, this tv is a cool stuff !!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks