What's new

New Live Action Disney...P&S Only!!!! (1 Viewer)

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
NOBODY, not even Disney, would release a 2.35:1 film on DVD exclusively in P&S.
[rant]According to IMDB, Silent Trigger has a 2.35:1 aspect ratio. It's been released as a Pan & Scan only, by none other than the great FOX. To add insult to injury, Pan & Scan is listed as a *bonus feature*![/rant]
I understand this movie is less than a stellar piece of cinematic art but I feel it deserves to be presented in OAR regardless of it's quality. OAR -- or not at all.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure what to think now.
The fact that amazon or any other retailer says something doesn't worry me much, they make mistakes all the time.
But now these have showed up on Disney's own website, with the info that they are 1.33:1.
http://psc.disney.go.com/disneyvideo...s/2155303.html http://psc.disney.go.com/disneyvideo...s/2155103.html
Hopefully these are still just mistakes, but I am a little worried now. I'm wondering what the best way would be for us to remind Disney in no uncertain terms that these had better be mistakes. I'd hate to keep hoping for the best, and then try to get them to change it retroactively ala Willy Wonka.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I just saw that Adventures of Huck Finn and Jungle Book, both Live Action, are widescreen anamorphic. Good for Disney.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
George, those links you posted are not promising. Of course, that Disney site has been wrong in the past, and Parent Trap doesn't have any extras info listed, but Swiss Family Robinson does and it says 1.33:1 - not a good sign. Has anyone tried emailing Disney about it?

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Mea culpa! It was the 1998 version I saw mentioned. I just wasn't paying attention. Sorry. Their webpage says

This title is not currently for sale by Walt Disney Home Entertainment but may still be available at your local retailer. If you would like to see Disney release this in the future on video and DVD, click here to let us know.

I take that to mean that it is OOP, but it's a moot point in this discussion.
There is SE content for the 1998 version out there (good stuff too from the laserdisc; commentary, deleted scenes, special effects tests...etc) Be nice if the 98 version is in line for an SE anamorphic re-issue, I found it as delightful as the original (which I indeed hope will be widescreen!)

Dan (UK)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I hope nobody minds that I "spoke" for the HTF, but I just tried to send Disney the following note. I am not certain it got through; there was an error after the javascript send that doesn't indicate that there was a for-sure failure to send; perhaps the error was just in finding what page to display to indicate a successful send. In any case, here's what I tried to send:
http://psc.disney.go.com/disneyvideo...s/2155303.html
http://psc.disney.go.com/disneyvideo...s/2155103.html
Your site (URL above) showing info about the forthcoming DVDs for Swiss Family Robinson and the original version of The Parent Trap, specifies that these DVDs will be in 1.33:1 aspect ratio.
Is this accurate? Will you be offering the DVD for these films only "Modified To Fit Your TV"? No widescreen? Not in the Original Aspect Ratio (OAR)?
I am a member of the Home Theater Forum (HTF) (www.hometheaterforum.com). Over 22,000 members strong, we strongly feel that OAR is the only way to view movies ("we want to see it like it was in the theater...that's why they call it Home THEATER").
I would dearly love to buy these titles for my family.
NO OAR = NO SALE
We at HTF were one of the leading forces behind the 11,000+ signature petition that convinced Warner Brothers to release a widescreen edition of "Willie Wonka" on DVD. WB also gave us a widescreen Cats & Dogs, and now another petition has convinced Blockbuster Video to carry widescreen DVD's whenever they are available.
Please write me back swiftly and let me know whether these 2 Disney titles will be available in widescreen. I will post this note to the HTF and will keep the members apprised of any response I get, or lack thereof.
Thank you,
David Lambert
Memphis, TN
As I said, I will post swiftly any response I get.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Well-done, David. Disney has been very good the past several years in offering their movies in OAR - live action and animated. The few casualties are almost all from 1999 at the latest. I doubt they wouldn't at least have OAR as an option for watching the movie, but it's best to get things cleared up from the get-go. Hopefully, they'll have an insightful answer, but it usually seems that the people getting those emails don't have the answers. Let's just hope that like the other Disney live action films announced these two will be OAR.

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
Parent Trap is going to be 1.66 anamorphic and Swiss Family Robinson is 2.35 anamorphic.

The other two are original fullscreen.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Well, MGM only gave us a p/s (THX...BARF!) Chitty Chitty Bang Bang...which is at least 2.35:1

-dave

p.s. Warner *wanted* to give us only a p/s Goonies (2.35:1) but the director stepped in and stopped it.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
Universal has released several 2.35 ratio movies in P&S only format on DVD (e.g. Fierce Creatures, Sudden Death, The Shadow, Timecop). There were all amoungst the early DVD releases, but to this day, 4+ years later, have not been re-released in widescreen.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Universal has released several 2.35 ratio movies in P&S only format on DVD (e.g. Fierce Creatures, Sudden Death, The Shadow, Timecop). There were all amoungst the early DVD releases, but to this day, 4+ years later, have not been re-released in widescreen.
Which is shameful, because I would buy three of the four of those if only they were in anamorphic widescreen.

For those who care:

Fierce Creatures

Sudden Death

Timecop

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
along with "Babe"
-dave
p.s. of course with special, extra-special, super-duper, and even *wooper* speacial editions of The Haunting and The Mummy, it's obvious that Universal just doesn't have time to go back and treat these early title properly ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks