What's new

New Live Action Disney...P&S Only!!!! (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Amazon really needs stop being so careless about releasing specs. No excuse for being so wrong so often.

William Miller

Second Unit
Gee whiz. I was so excited and now people are starting to see storm clouds on the horizon.

For those of you who did not go to Amazon, I will tell you this:

They have a photo of each cover and a complete list of all the special edition extras. I doubt that they just made all of that up all by themselves. As I said before, I pray they may be wrong with the aspect ratio, but everything else looks O.K.

Rob T

Screenwriter
I would love to have Swiss Family Robinson on DVD, but unless it's OAR, I will NOT buy it!
and the same goes for 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea!
I grew up on these films (same with Mary Poppins, but we already got that) and I would love to have them, but I won't buy them unless they're in OAR. No F-in way. Come on Disney! show respect for some of your finest films!

William Miller

Second Unit
The last thing I wanted to do was start another thread about original aspect ratios.

Of course, we want them in their correct ratio.

It's an Amazon error. Don't start coming down on Disney until we know the facts.

We should be happy about this news! They will be beautiful letterbox editions. The extras sound wonderful. These are part of the new series "Vault Disney". Many more will be coming.

If by some miracle, these really are full frame, then I will be extremely depressed. But I predict they will be perfect and we will love them.

So let's be happy!

Gunnar Syren

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gunnar Syrén
I wonder where Amazon gets their info? The only one of these that I could find on Disney's web pages was Old Yeller.
That title is listed as 1.33:1, but maybe that is OAR?
Apparently The Parent Trap has been available on DVD previously, because there is a listing of it on Disney's site (listed as OOP). That version was 1.85:1, so it seems strange if Disney would now release a P&S version only.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
The Parent Trap (1961) has never been on dvd. I don't know what the OAR is, but the ld (and vhs) are both full-frame (and I imagine, pan & scan).

The Parent Trap (1998) is on dvd, but is not OOP as far as I know (at least it's still on store shelves).

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Old Yeller is probably 1.66:1 or 1.78:1. Disney used those ratios for their non-widescreen process films.

20,000 Leagues Under The Sea has been mentioned in DVDFile's Studio Day 2001 report that it's being worked on.

I don't know how any of these titles could have 2-disc editions... (Except for 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea)

Gunnar Syren

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gunnar Syrén
The Parent Trap (1961) has never been on dvd.
Mea culpa! It was the 1998 version I saw mentioned. I just wasn't paying attention. Sorry. Their webpage says

This title is not currently for sale by Walt Disney Home Entertainment but may still be available at your local retailer. If you would like to see Disney release this in the future on video and DVD, click here to let us know.

I take that to mean that it is OOP, but it's a moot point in this discussion.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Given the features listings on Amazon, it certainly looks like these are legit, though I still doubt they will be in the wrong aspect ratio - Miramax is even doing anamorphic 1.66:1 on its upcoming French titles, so having Disney do SEs in the wrong format wouldn't be very consistent. I've never seen Pollyanna, but if done right it would get my attention. Old Yeller is a shoe-in for an SE, and Swiss Family Robinson would make sense too. The only other thought would be if they were doing dual releases and hadn't let the infor out yet...

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I'd be up for an SE of Candleshoe...

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I'm terribly excited abotu these releases, they are some of my most wanted titles on dvd (except pollyanna but i'll buy that to keep the vault disney collection complete and encourage future wonderful releases). I love the fact that they will all be two disc special editions (and disney always uses double alphas woohoo!), and all but one with cast reunion commentary's, plus special features and promotional materials, I"m very excited. The fact that they are two disc editions seems to suggest that disney is devoting the whole first disc to sound and video quality, let's just hope all the titles got full restorations. The only thing really missing from the sets I would like would be a commentary by film historians/disney historians. I just wish that disney would release a press release, or inform the dvd news sites about the series so that we can get confirmation on the aspect ratio, and that they actually exist. :p

Adam

Larry Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
You know it could be that the reason that these are two-disc SE, is that Disney maybe releasing the films in two versions in the set - WS and P&S.

I cannot believe they would have enough SE material for Old Yeller and others since the films are not that long to begin with.

A single DVD-9 can hold apx. 4 and a half hours. So, doing the math, I would not be surprised if some are WS and P&S sets.

Tim Travis

Agent
According to amazon now, at least the parent trap and swiss family robinson are anamorphic widescreen. It says full screen 1.33:1 on old yeller and pollyanna. Just to let you guys know.

Tim

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
They have changed the info for Swiss Family Robinson and The Parent Trap to indicate they will both be in Anamorphic Widescreen. They have also removed the information for Pollyanna and Old Yeller that stated they were in full frame. No aspect ratio information is provided for those titles.

Check my sig!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Pollyanna and Old Yeller are meant to be matted to 1.75:1

I think the only "classic era" true widescreen films made by Disney are...

Lady and the Tramp (CinemaScope)

20,000 Leagues Under The Sea (CinemaScope)

Long John Silver (CinemaScope)

Swiss Family Robinson (Panavision)

Sleeping Beauty (Technirama)

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
They have removed all info on these four titles, except the folowing:

Edition Details:

• Region 1 encoding (US and Canada only)

• Color, Closed-captioned

• Number of discs: 2

• ASIN: Different for each title

I wonder if this means they posted the info before Disney gave them permission. They had to pull info that they published before WindowsXP came out too.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Has disney ever gone back to an older DVD and given it some improvment?
"A Bug's Life" and "Mary Poppins" are the only titles of which I can think. Bug's Life may not count since it was packaged as a collector's edition and the old one was re-branded as "Gold", but continues to be available. Mary Poppins was moved to a dual layer disc with some extra features and the previous version was discontinued. All of the others I can think of were repackaged with no significant change in content.

Very soon, Disney will be doing "Tombstone" and "Sixth Sense" "Vista Series" discs, not to mention "Pearl Harbor".

Regards,

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
According to DVDFile, Disney has not released any of the specifications of these upcoming dvd releases. Here's the link.
Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks