What's new

New Kubrick SE's (1 Viewer)

Adam Santangelo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Santangelo
Vincent -

I think we agree on just about everything. I can't speak for people's subjective preferences, but I think it's wrong for anyone to suggest that Kubrick didn't have the 1.85:1 frame in mind when composing his shots.

I also agree re. Vitali. This may or may not be related, but I suppose we'll eventually get to a point (we may already be there) where consumer technology is at a level that Kubrick just hadn't anticipated. I've also been thinking about how ultimately, unlike some other classics, the films in question are too valuable to Warner as mass market entertainment for them to be forever restricted to 4:3 transfers and/or mono soundtracks.

Like you and Patrick are saying, it would be nice to have the "Kubrick-approved" versions - whatever that means and for whatever it's worth - included on future home video releases.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
I recall an incident in the cutting rooms with Stanley on "The Shining". He and Ray, the editor, invited me to watch a freshly cut scene on the steenbeck. The scene was Jack sitting at the bar. On the steenbeck screen, which was 4x3, were the markings for 1.85.
I complained about the fact that Jack's hands were moving position from shot to shot, but were below the bottom 1.85 matte line. Stanley immediately rediculed my remark by saying that it would never be seen. Now this was okay for the theatrical, but got the impression from him, in this particular case, that he didn't necessarily anticipate - or was concerned - that the continuity errors that were visible in full-frame only might be seen one day. This is by no means a criticism of Stanley. I had the highest admiration for him.

J-EL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
J
So, is there any new info on these Special Editions? I'm very much looking forward to this boxset, since it contains my four favorite Kubrick movies and really, the only ones that I'd like to own out of his filmography. 2001 and The Shining are two of my all-time favorites and I like Eyes Wide Shut quite a bit and think that Clockwork Orange is pretty good, even if it is pretty dated. So, any new info?

*Crosses fingers*

:)

Adam Santangelo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Santangelo

That's really interesting, Steve. Somehow I missed this post until today. Thanks for sharing. I would love to hear about any other experiences you had working with Kubrick. Must have been amazing...

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
I dunno if this has been reported, yet, but Amazon UK has a Clockwork Orange: Special Edition pre-ordering for June 1, 2007. Hopefully that's an official date and the other SEs aren't far behind.

I'm especially looking forward to adding Eyes Wide Shut to my collection, finally. I've been waiting for an uncensored version and no doubt Warner is going to give us a great disc!

Corey

Screenwriter
i just traded in my old copies of 2001, clockwork orange, and the shining in preparation for the SE's. hopefully lolita is included too.

Rolando

Screenwriter
any updates now? :)

seriously, what do we know about R1 SEs? 2-3 titles are being re-mastered or are we talking about a whole new Kubrick collection?

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Kubricks my favorite director, but I wont be buying these again until theyre released on HD.

Adam Santangelo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Santangelo
I'm surprised there've been no posts to this thread since Warner's comment about the Kubrick SEs not being out until (roughly) Christmas '07.

Personally, I'm happy to wait. In terms of content, I'm perfectly happy with my existing discs. If waiting means that I'm more likely to get well-considered specs (ie. the 16:9/4:3 issue should be addressed) and high-quality bonus content (since Kubrick was, for the most part, a believer in letting the films speak for themselves), then I'm thrilled to be waiting.

Even on the HD side - especially since I have yet to adopt either HD DVD or Blu-Ray - I'm glad the formats will have time to mature slightly before these titles see the light of day. No sense having a repeat of the big SD double-dip.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if and when MGM is going to re-release its Kubrick films on DVD. I just gave Paths of Glory a spin last night, and was surprised at all the digital noise and enhancment in the image.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

They ought to put out a 3-disc set to coincide with Warner's with new transfers (and some supplements). Paths of Glory was restored a few years ago by UCLA, so a new DVD could look fantastic. Although, according to UCLA, it was hard-matted to 1.66:1 and is supposed to be shown at 1.85:1. :)

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

Actually, I zoomed in the fullscreen DVD of PoG to a 16:9 AR, and I must say the framing looked pretty good.

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
I just saw the UCLA restored print of Paths of Glory 2 weeks ago at the Cinematheque Ontario (who ALWAYS screen their films in the proper AR) and it was most definitely not 1.85:1 nor was it 1.66:1.

It was good old 1.37:1 :) and it looked terrific!!

Bo_Darville

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bo
dvdempire lists the same release as being 1.33:1. i imagine a ws release would have garnered more attention on the forums, so i would assume the amazon listing is incorrect. despite the numerous protests about kubrick's preferences, the hd-dvd is displayed in ws. so i guess his preference for full screen applies only to sd-dvd's. :rolleyes:

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...earchID=194931

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks