What's new

New iPods Coming Next Week (9/5/07) (1 Viewer)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I’ve got to say that over all this is a very disappointing announcement.

I like the iPod Touch but the storage capacity is just way too small.
They should have created a Touch with 160GB. Now that is the product I would have purchased today.

Looks like I’ll be waiting to upgrade until they get the Touch up to at least 80+ GBs.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Yeah, that would have been ideal. But that would have meant a hard drive-based Touch, which would have meant more of a redesign from the iPhone factor.

Battery life may also have factored into the design decision. A hard-drive based device with the larger screen and WiFi would probably be a battery-eater.

Eventually the HD models will go away completely in favor of flash. Some were speculating Apple would make that move this year. I'm glad they recognized there is still a market for large-capacity devices and kept the HD line. It's going to be several years yet for flash prices to drop to where an 80-160 GB model is financially viable. Until then, I'll be happy with the 160GB Classic.

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
So the iphone is only dual band not quad band? I guess that would prevent it's being taken on a world wide trip next year (I'm sure the unlocking thing will be taken care of by then).

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I'll be preordering the 16 GB itouch this weekend when the website actually works for me. I watched the whole keynote tonight and could not stop drooling.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

If AT&T dropped the requirement to buy an expensive voice+data plan, when all you really need is a voice plan (thanks to free wifi being available in most places you'd be needing it), then they'd be hard to choose between the iPhone and the iPod Touch.

But as it stands, it makes more financial sense to have a regular cell phone with an affordable voice-only plan for phone calls, and an iPod Touch for music and free web browsing.

That Apple was not able to get AT&T to offer a full range of plans must say something about how resistant the phone companies were to letting Apple in. The iPod Touch's WiFi is a kick in the face of AT&T, since many who were considering getting the iPhone despite its steep monthly plans now have an affordable alternative.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
don't know where you figured out that it was not quad band.

it is

GSM

* Quad-band (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
499 for the iphone.

what the bleep.

i got mine only 6 weeks ago.

they should make a rebate available to the early people.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I agree that eventually they will all be flash based and that is when I'll upgrade.

For me the WiFi is useless and nothing more then a gimmick to buy songs from iTunes. Something I have only done twice since the bit rates is far too low for my preference.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
buy a Playstation right before Christmas the year it comes out... in March... price drops.

It's one of the prices of being the early adopters, and a risk I would have taken if the iPhone were available in Canada.

These people that are screaming have been the first SELECT FEW owners of a revolutionary device that is changing the game in handheld communication.

Buyer Beware.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
FWIW: I predict the same thing will happen to the touch iPod after christmas.

I'm guessing it's price will drop by $100.

And I'm planning on being one of those that gets "ripped off", but I will be loving every minute of my touch iPhone...

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
But then I have a thicker/heavier iPod. when I could put this drive in the regular sized Classic iPod and just upgrade the firmware (Im sure this will be possible)

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
I find a lot of the bellyaching about the price cut to be mildly amusing. I'd noticed that a number of people I've talked to that owned iPhones had a kind of smug, elitist attitude that they were in possession of this "exclusive" device that most people only dreamed about. Well the reason it was so "exclusive" and most people were only able to pine for one was the high price. So the question is are the early adopters really mad at being out $200 or are they just ticked off that the iPhone may move closer to being a mainstream device at $399? :)

KCAir

Auditioning
Real Name
Kyle Edwards
The ipod touch seems like a winner. I noticed I use my iphone on wi-fi more than I do on the edge network. I wonde if Skype will be available?

ErichH

Screenwriter

Expect this model to go 299 within 120 days - just before V2.
People get amnesia - this is nothing compared to a first gen StarTac or Razr. Bling is Ruthless on the pocket.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Rumors are already starting to fly that Apple will introduce a 16Gig iPhone in the coming months to match the iTouch's capacity.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Wouldn't surprise me, Andrew. In fact it would surprise me if they didn't!

After going back and forth in my mind, I think my next big purchase will be...a new SXRD TV :D

I was really hoping they'd put the 16GB and 32GB flash chips by Samsung to good use and make a Nano or iPod Touch that was at least 32GB, if not 64GB. Even if they charged $100-$150 more for it I would have bought it for the slimmer/smaller form factor, the storage, and the lack of HD (so it takes jostling better). I guess as long as my 60GB 5G keeps chugging along I'll make do with it until they make a high capacity flash based iPod available.

Meanwhile, moving to a new apartment and increasing my living room size by 40% makes my 6 year old 47" HDTV look downright puny. Those new A3000 sets from Sony look like the winner for the Drain Carlo's Wallet Prior To The Holidays contest. I really wanted Apple to win, but it looks like that will have to wait.

Now if they update the Mac Pro... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks