What's new

New iPods Coming Next Week (9/5/07) (1 Viewer)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
OMG - he just dropped the price of the 8GB iPhone to $399!!! That sound you hear is about a million arrows hitting early-adopters in the back...

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Well, that looks to be it - he's got a musician (KT Tunstall) on stage performing.

Still no Beatles. Well, after adding McCartney, Lennon & Starr to the store, I guess the next step is the Harrison catalog. The Fab Four will come sometime after that.

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
I'm liking the new Ipod touch for it's wifi capabilities... this seems like it'd be the perfect thing to take on a trip to have access to email, surf the net, without lugging a laptop around.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the iPod touch is the most amazing of all the announcements as I didn't think we'd see this this time. It's certainly very tempting!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
iPod nano video! Fortunately it maxes out at 8GB so I'm not tempted to buy :D If they had a 16 GB nano video, I'd be sorely tempted. It would be the ultimate travel machine. I could watch movies at the gym!

With wife iPod and a $200 iPhone price cut, Apple put even more distance between them and their competition! Great googly moogly, a $399 iPhone!

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Based on some quick surveying of blogs & forums, the iPhone price drop is not going over well with early adopters.

My take is I knew going in that I was paying a premium to be the "first on my block" with an iPhone, and that newer models/lower prices were inevitable. That said, a $200 price drop 2 months after initial availability is earlier and lower than anyone would have reasonably predicted.

I personally don't feel screwed, but I can understand those that do. This is going to hurt goodwill with their biggest fans. I wouldn't expect Apple to do refunds/rebates - they don't owe anybody anything. However, they could have mitigated this in a number of ways - for example, sending early adopters a $50-$100 credit at the Apple store.

It will be interesting to see what happens over the next few days.

And I'm STILL buying that 160GB iPod Classic... :)

ErichH

Screenwriter
We'll see how long those 299 4G iPhones Last ;)

I'd guess 4 hours

special deals/iphone/clearance

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I bought a 5.5 30 GB iPod last March. Since it was a 5.5 generation, I was pretty sure the iPods would be revamped this year. I should have been more patient. I foolishly thought the newer would be more expensive. Oh well.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
I bought a 60GB iPod 5.5G about 15 months ago. I love it, and if I can get a decent amount for it, I'd sell it and get the iPod Touch, but I don't think it's worth too much anymore.

That iPod Touch looks awesome.

CJ

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
So, its going to have pretty much the same OS running the iPod Touch as the iPhone does.
Id like to get iPhone owners input on this, as Ive read that a lot of iPhone owners on this forum would have waited for V2 iPhone to come out due to its limitations after the fact. Would you guys feel this way if it were only an iPod w/ Wi-Fi and internet capabilites?

Ive been waiting to replace a broken mp3 player for months now and the wife and I are going to get a pair, however, 16 gigs isnt a lot for me. but its enough for her. Perhaps it would be cheaper to buy a 5.5 gig and replace the hard drive to 120 once those start shipping
But damn, the Touch is just so tempting and slick.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Actually, iPods fetch pretty decent resale prices. I sold an original iPod Photo 60 GB for $175 a few months ago, which was pretty much the going rate on eBay.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Hmm, you're right. That's the first mention I've seen of the missing camera.

So it's interesting to compare the $399 iPod Touch with the now $399 iPhone. There's a trade-off of 8GB extra RAM on the former vs. GSM/EDGE phone circuitry, Bluetooth & camera on the latter (I won't mention the Google Maps & Mail applets which seem to be MIA on the iPod Touch).

Seems stacked in favor of the iPhone to me.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
The Touch is a good choice for me, as I still despise AT&T's phone and data service. The camera is a wash...okay I guess for impromptu shots, but poor low light capability and unable to record video (a glaring omission, IMO)

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I am really, really impressed with what Apple has been coming up with lately, and I am drooling over that iPod Touch, but there's absolutely no way I could deal with 16 GB of space... I'm in the market for an 80GB iPod at minimum due to the size of my music library. Oh, the day when the drive capacity will be there for this version - wow!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks