What's new

New impressive 3d engine for the GBA.... (1 Viewer)

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Saw this over at Gamespot:
Click Here
Those screens of what look like Resident Evil are really impressive for Nintendo's little handheld! I can't wait to see what final games look like on the Raylight engine. (I'd love to see a Star Fox game on this engine).

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Looks like a great development for the GBA. I figured that 3d might happen in a limited manner on the Advance, but I didn't think we'd get it so quickly. I hope they continue to make great 2d and 3d games. I wonder if Banjo Kazooie will be modified as a result...

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think this is f***ing amazing, but seriously, will it look good on the tiny screen? I'm a bit cautious.

If they made a video output thingy that wouldn't require breaking open the GBA, then I'd be all for it and would probably be more excited about this, but 3-D on the tiny screen will be a bit difficult.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Morgan,

I think it's got to be technically possible for Nintendo to run a video output of the GBA through the GameCube. An inexpensive disc in combination with the GBA/GCN cable would work very well toward letting you play GBA games on the television. It's kind of beyond me why they wouldn't release such a disc since many GBA users would buy it, and you still couldn't use GBA games without a GBA unit.

I'm hoping that they already have such an option in mind.

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
For some reason, I kinda like games in 2D on my GBA. A lush 2D has always been more appealing than a stripped 3D.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
2-D or 3-D would be good for me, so long as they are only adding to a good game.

You'd figure they could make a GS type cart and put a video output thingy on it so you could watch a game on a TV, but NO, thats too good of an idea for Nintendo. DAMN YOU NINTENDO!!!

Camp

Senior HTF Member
The screens look good. I want to see them in motion though. Then I'll be a believer.

There is a device you can purchase to play your GBA games on TV. It requires a minor mod and the cost is just under $100. I saw it on one of the import sites.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I know about those devices already, but I would much rather not void the warranty or risk ruining my GBA to play it on TV.

Jason Handy

Second Unit
Plus, doesn't plugging it into a TV sort of defeat the purpose of playing the GBA? I thought it was something mainly good for when you are away from your primary gaming system (GC, PS2, XBOX). I would imagine that zoomed in the picture would look kinda bad (especially on a big RPTV)

Jason

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Its not zoomed in, its just made larger. Watching a DVD on a big TV compared to a small one doesn't look bad.

Its taking the video signal and putting it on the TV. The video signal is sent to the screen on the GBA and then its shown, so the video signal could be presented as a regular signal to a regular TV.

So no, it wouldn't just be zoomed in.

Did anyone watch the videos of this thing at the GameSpot article? Pretty amazing for a handheld, like the DBZ game opening video.

Users who are viewing this thread