What's new

New HT system question. (1 Viewer)

Dan_Myers

Agent
Hi everyone,
I just upgraded from a Sony HT-in-a-Box.
I now am using a Onkyo 575X to power 5 NHT SuperZero's and a Velodyne CT100.
Here is my question. I have not purchased a DVD player yet, nor have I upgraded my Sat. Receiver. Because of this I have no way of using Dolby Digital or DTS. I wanted to do some testing so I borrowed a buddies DVD player. Only later to realize that he had a old DVD player that didn't pass DD or DTS to the receiver. All I have from it is Pro-Logic. I have it setup to send the the audio to the Onkyo through its PCM digital. The thing I notice is that when I have an audio CD playing in either Stereo or 5-Channel Stereo it is considerably louder then when I am watching a DVD in Pro-Logic mode. Is this because of the way that Pro-Logic is derived from 2 channels? Can I expect a better performance once I upgrade my Sat. Receiver, or purchase a DVD player that will do 5.1?
I wonder about this because when watching a DVD I have the volume set to about 60 or 62. Since it max's out at 75 (or is it 78) am I running my receiver pretty hard? With a CD playing the volume is under 50. Could this also just be that the DVD player I am using is not doing a good job of sending the audio to the Onkyo? It is a Toshiba but a few years old.
TIA
------------------
- Dan

KonradM

Auditioning
In order to receive DD/DTS signals you either have to hook up the DVD with a digital connection (optical or coax) or use the 5.1 output which would be a set of 6 RCA connections. If you have just hooked up with a pair of RCA cables to the analog L/R connections the best you can do is pro logic. Since you said the DVD you borrowed is only a year or so old you must either use the digital connection or the 5.1 output connections.
As for volume, I just read something recently that movies have a very large dynamic range and will typically be played at a higher volume. As long as your receiver isn't overheating you should be ok.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I'm fairly certain that Toshiba (and everybody else for that matter) never made a player that couldn't pass the DD signal through the digital output. DD was there at the beginning of DVD, so all players handle it. DTS came later, and first generation players don't pass it. If you are using the player's digital output, either coax or optical, make sure you aren't selecting the downconversion which it sounds like you may have set.
I do find that there's a significant difference between the analog outputs and digital output of my satelite. It could have to do with the sat's receiver and how it downconverts. You could be experiencing something similar. Also, there are various settings in the receiver on how it handles different sources through its DSP modes. That could affect it also.

Dan_Myers

Agent
Well, following the info that the DVD should have Dolby Digital and DTS I downloaded a manual for it and did some reconfiguration of it and did in fact get Dolby and DTS out of it and my speakers sound much bettern. I did notice now though that when I start up a DVD it starts up and my Onkyo goes to Pro-Logic mode and I then choose Audio setup and choose Dolby Digital or DTS and then play the movie. When the movie starts the Onkyo doesn't always switch to the proper format and the audio is a bit quiet. I just click on Video 1, then back to DVD and it kicks into Dolby or DTS and sounds great.
I have only tried 2 DVD's. The Patriot and Chicken Run. Each one only once, so I will have to do some more playing around tomorrow and see if this is normal.
I did have the receiver turned down much further then before. I put Chicken Run in for one of my boys and I turned it down to about 45 or so since my youngest ran out screaming when the movie started up at around 55. It sounds much like I hoped it would. A definite step up from the Sony system I was using.
Thanks for the info.
[Edited last by Dan_Myers on August 27, 2001 at 07:57 PM]

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Some DVDs default to pro-logic, its just the way they're coded. Some players, like the Sony's can hunt down a DD track on some DVDs, but not all. Its a bit annoying and I've just gotten into the habit of looking at the receiver and making sure its in the right mode when the movie begins. Also, if the DVD has only a dolby digital 2.0 track, your receiver may turn that into pro-logic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks