What's new

New HT in Sun City, Ca (1 Viewer)

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
I've been having to deal with an incomplete 35mm print of Friday the 13th part 3 in 3D for several years. I would have to show the first 19 minutes of the movie from the 3D anaglyph Blu Ray and do a change over to the 35mm film print. Not cool. There is no comparison between the BD and the polarized film print.

After an exhaustive 3 year search I have found a complete print located only 60 miles from my home and I'm picking it up tomorrow afternoon. I feel like a 7 year old on Christmas Eve.

Friday part 3.jpg

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
UPDATE:

Drove down to pick up the print this afternoon. After a quick inspection of all five reels, I discovered the print had water damage, among other issues. I left empty handed.:(

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
I await your report upon receipt! :D

Friday the 13th Part III must hold a special place in your heart!

Indeed Mike. Back in the 70's and early 80's i was a manager/projectionist working for a local theatre corporation and had the opportunity of projecting a lot of the 80's 3D movies including Friday the 13th part 3, Jaws 3D, Amityville 3D, etc. Those were the days when working for a theatre was actually fun!! Some of the 3D shots in Friday are really good. It's a shame Paramount decided not to release a "true" 3D version of this title on Blu Ray. I just can't watch the anaglyph version.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
I'm hoping someone on the Forum can supply me with a source lead for a project I'm working on.
In my home theatre I project 35mm 3D using both linear and circular polarization lenses. I'm wanting to change the linear
filter in one lens to circular polarized.
So basically I'm looking for a source that can duplicate the filter (see picture) except using a piece of circular polarized material sandwiched between the two pieces of optical glass. Having this filter changed would allow me to project all of my 35mm 3D titles so that Real-D glasses would work on everything. I could throw the linear glasses away. Linear 3D is old school brought alive in the 3D resurgence of the 1980's 3D titles like Friday the 13th 3D, Jaws 3D, Amityville 3D, etc, etc.
Lens Filter.jpe

If anyone knows of a company/person able to cut optical glass and furnish material that goes between the two pieces of glass please send me a message or post your suggestions here.

This piece of glass is 63mm (length) X 52mm (width) X 5mm (thick)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Don: I think, if I were you, I would start a separate thread in a different forum duplicating your last post to maximize the number of people who might see it.

I'm not sure which forum would be best: maybe Home Theater projects (the one we're in now)? Or, maybe Hardware/Playback Devices?

We also have a ton of projectionists and/or 3-D experts on the forum, I would think they might be able to help. People like Peter Apruzzesee, Jack Theakston and Bob Furmanek come to mind. And I know there are others. Feel free to send them a group PM and let them know I recommended you contact them.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Now here's a "reel" shame.
Three 35mm reels of Jaws 3D going in the trash. Like so much older acetate film, it's infected with vinegar syndrome.
Sad indeed.:(

Jaws 3D.jpe

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Picked up a print of Treasure of the 4 Crowns in 3D recently.
Lackluster acting....no real stars but the 3D effects are interesting. As with all 80's 3D movies there are some ghosting issues but I've learned to live with those.
Still, it's nice to be able to watch an old 3D movie on the big screen wearing lightweight Real-D glasses instead of the heavy "active" version.
Loving 3D, film and Blu Ray.
4 crowns.jpe

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Tonight in our home theatre, one of our all time favorite movies......GREASE....a 1992 35mm reprint in Dolby A., not the SRD version with the horrible remix sound track.

grease.jpeg

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
I know this is Halloween but I just couldn't help myself.
We watched Friday the 13th Part 3 in GLORIOUS polarized 3D last night. Not the best in the Franchise but my favorite if for no other reason, the 3D effects.

Friday part 3.jpg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I would revisit F13-3D a lot more often if I had something better than the anagylph disc. I can tell from the disc that the 3D must be amazing, but as you know, the disc itself isn't. Alas, I live vicariously through your posts :)

Happy Halloween!!

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Full disclosure Josh, Friday 3D has it's issues as do ALL 80's 35mm 3D titles. Good news is that Friday 3D has more good 3D effects than bad ones. I've got a 1973 35mm print of Flesh For Frankenstein that will suck your eyeballs right out of your head!!!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Whatever issues are part of the film itself can't be as bad as watching it anagylph. The only 80s ones I've had real trouble with on 3D Blu-ray are Amityville 3D and Comin' At You - the others released so far aren't perfect but don't hurt my eyes.

I've heard that Flesh is particularly painful but I'd put myself through it at least once if I had the chance. Alas, I've only seen it in 2D, probably about fifteen years ago - sad to say, I don't remember a thing about it. (I blame that on being a college student at the time.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks