What's new

New HT buyer (1 Viewer)

Fredrick_J

Auditioning
I am looking to purchase a home theater speaker system and I have been leaning towards the Polk bookshelf speakers. In particular the RTi28s or RTi38s with a CSi30 center channel and the PSW303 subwoofer. I know I'm opening myself up to a lot of response here, but does this sound like a good system and could anyone recommend anything better in the same price range. $875.96 with shipping at Crutchfield right now for (4) RTi28s, (1) CSi30 and (1) PSW303.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jeff-Watson

Stunt Coordinator
I think the weak link in your setup would be the sub. I own all Polk speakers except for the sub. I have always loved the Polk sound but their subs have always seemed timid. They don't reach low enough in freq. and just sound muddy to me. Just my opinion but you will find a thousand opinions when it comes to speakers. What matters most is find a place to listen to all of your available options and buying what sounds best to you. good Luck.;)

Jeff-Watson

Stunt Coordinator
I guess that would depend on your budget for the sub. Give me a ball park of your budget and I can give you a few ideas.

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
the best sub in the 300 dollar range is probably the jbl pb12, however they have some bad quality control issues with their amp. 300 dollars is kind of a null spot for subs. at the 200 dollar price point you have the pb10 and sony WM40, and at 400 dollars you have some real options from internet companies (rava i think?), but yeah, 300 is kind of rough.

Miklsan K

Agent
Fredrick J,
Just a tip, Polk is running their "Free Sub" promo again right now. You can get a free PSW 202 with the purchase of $499.99 in Polk speakers. I know Circuit City will let you a plly that credit towards a better Polk sub (like the 303). It could save you some serious cash. Happy hunting.

Fredrick_J

Auditioning
I'm going to try this again. I'm slowly reviseing my decision on Polk. I've listened to them and I like but I am also going to listen to the B&W 300 series speakers. I hear that they are very good speakers and the price range is not that much higher than the Polks I am looking at.

I've revised my price range to extend to about $1,200 to accomodate this change. Can anyone help me out with this decision and/or make a recommendation. Thanks.

Brent-T

Grip
Fredrick, if you liked the Polks, do yourself a favor and try and audition the Polk lsi7's or lsi9's. The sound and build quality of these speakers is amazing. Check out acousticsounddesign.com for prices. IMHO I think they are much better than the B&W's and would still come close to fitting in your budget.

Nathan J

Stunt Coordinator
Never have I heard a Polk speaker that was superior to B&W.

I would stick with the B&W's.

Brent-T

Grip
Having demo'd both the b&w 303's and the polk audio lsi9's, I can safely say that the polk is superior. Granted, the higher end b&w stuff outperforms the polks, but at this level, the polk's 2 1/2 driver array, ring tweeter, and fit and finish are much better than the entry level b&w. I was never much on polk before, but this lsi series is head and shoulders above their other lines. The only thing that may concern you is they are 4 ohm speakers, so what you drive them with is important. If you look at some reviews elsewhere, you will see people who have had/heard both and lean to the lsi's. The lsi center channel is pretty sweet too. Unlike the b&w's, all of the lsi's are shielded and are pretty hefty for a bookshelf (32 pounds). Happy Hunting!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks