What's new

New Home Theater Setup (Denon AVR-590) questions (1 Viewer)

Holton0289

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
I am new to this gen. of home theaters and have found myself lost in an endless list of settings. I need some advice from people that know their way around a complete setup and how to make it work best. Below is a list of what I have, what I am trying to do, and some problems I have.

TV- Samsung 46" Led-LCD UN46B8000
DVR- SA Explorer 9300HD (Knology)
AMP- Denon AVR-590
Xbox 360, PS3
Logitech Harmony One Universal Remote

I wanted to be able to hook up everything to the TV via HDMI and then optical audio out to the AMP. One reason for doing this is my TV handles the PS3 and Xbox better with game mode on. Having them connected directly to the TV I could just change inputs and the tv remembers that HDMI 2=Game Mode on, HDMI 3=Game Mode On, HDMI 1=Game mode off. Another reason is that x.v.color works with the PS3 and the TV but if it goes through the AMP I don't know if can handle that. The big problem with everything going to TV then AMP is no surround sound, 5.1 stereo just isn't the same.

So I changed everything to go to the AMP via HDMI then to the TV. I cant get surround sound while watching TV, either HD or SD. This amp has so many settings I cant wrap my head around them all, think something is not right. I did see where the auto detect for surround sound is on but it doesn't help. What is the best way to go about hooking this stuff up. Is there an easy way to do all this that I am just overlooking?

I would appreciate and help or advice anyone could give me.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Originally Posted by Holton0289
I wanted to be able to hook up everything to the TV via HDMI and then optical audio out to the AMP.
Nope. As you found out, it doesn't work that way for surround. Since your receiver decodes the HD audio formats, you definitely want to go to the receiver first, instead of the tv.

For surround from the tv, go into the DVR's setup menus, and make sure the audio output is set to Dolby Digital. Also make sure it's set to use the HDMI output for video and audio. Then you use the CBL/SAT button instead of TV button on receiver. If the Auto detect is on, it should detect the digital signal. Also know that not all channels, even the HD channels, broadcast in 5.1 surround.

As far as receiver remembering the game mode and such, that should be a matter of how you setup the Harmony remote. If it's setup right, when you push game (or whatever) the Harmony will put everything in the mode you program it for. Also, the ps3 doesn't work with a Harmony, unless you buy a special dongle thing for it.

Other than this, all I can say is slowly go through the owner's manual, step by step, and make sure everything is set right. If you have trouble with programming the Harmony, their customer service will walk you through what you need to do. They're pretty good about that.
Good luck!

Holton0289

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
thanks for the quick response and the info. This forum moves alot faster that avsforums. Diddnt exspect a reply so quick. I diddnt even think to go into the DVR and look for an audio setting. This is what I have and what happend. I went to the DVR and the choices for Audio: Digital Out Other-HDMI-Dolby Digital TM. It was on Other, so I put it on Dolby Digital, but the sound cut out and I couldnt get it back on. I went back in and tryed the HDMi setting. Sound came back on but sounds the same at "Other". This is what is lit up on the front of the Amp. (Left to right)

(Boxed) PCM (Box) DIG. (Big Letters in middle) PLII C SAT (Top Center) Dolby PLII, HDMI and AUTO

when I read the manual there are all kinds of different indicators, some of which I thought should be lit up while watching tv and playing a game or DVD. I dont see, or have not seen since I bought it, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital+, dts HD or MASTER. Should I see any of those while watching TV, or playing xbox, PS3? As for the remote I can figure that out later, or just live with changing game mode every time. I know something is not set up right, I just havent been able to find out what yet.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I dont see, or have not seen since I bought it, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital+, dts HD or MASTER. Should I see any of those while watching TV, or playing xbox, PS3?

You should see Dolby TrueHD or DTS-Master Audio when playing BluRay discs on the PS3 which have those sound formats (most do but not all).

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Originally Posted by gene c

You should see Dolby TrueHD or DTS-Master Audio when playing BluRay discs on the PS3 which have those sound formats (most do but not all).
To see those words, it has to be a new "slim" ps3, set to Bitstream for audio output.
If it's not the new slim ps3, set the audio output to LPCM or PCM (I think). You'll get the HD audio, but it will probably say multi-channel, in the receiver's display.

Holton0289

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
I read the manual but still cant understand what causes the sound to cut off when I switch to dolby digital output on the DVR. If one channel is in dolby digital and another channel is not, will the DVR still output sound in another format?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
It should output stereo, on channels that don't broadcast in surround. You can set receiver to Dolby Pro Logic II for those channels to play in simulated surround. Other than what I've said, I don't know what's causing the sound to drop out, unless it's a "handshake" problem via HDMI. This would be with DVR only though.

Did you assign the inputs you used, to what you plugged into them? If not, you'll probably need to. The manual will tell you how. Once inputs are assigned, and you choose the source you want to use, it should be fine, since the Auto detect is on. I'm not familiar with any Xbox or ps3 games. Are they in 5.1 surround, or Dolby Pro Logic II?

It sounds like the inputs aren't assigned to each source that's plugged into them. Assigning inputs isn't hard. Just follow the manual step by step, carefully. The receiver also has to be setup for HDMI output of video and audio. Double check that you didn't miss a step there somewhere. Again, follow the manual carefully.

Where do you live? Maybe another member of the forums lives close by, and could help you get it all setup right............Good luck!

Holton0289

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
I have the inputs assigned, but I didn't relabel them st they are still called quick select 1 2 3. I live in north Alabama around the Huntsville area. I am still going through the manual one page at a time, alot of this stuff could be in a diff language as far as i can tell. Every time I change something it messes with something else. Now on HD channels the screen turns to static for a split second every 2 seconds or so, now I am trying to figure out what went wrong.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I don't know what else to tell you. If I was there, I could probably set it up. I've setup several Denons before. I suppose you could have a problem with the receiver. It happens occasionally. If I was there, I'd reset the receiver to factory settings, and start from scratch............It's just very hard to troubleshoot and set everything from an online forum, when it's got this far already, and nothing has helped. Better for someone to do hands on setup. Maybe someone else has some ideas.

Holton0289

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
I thought about trying to set it back too, I just didn't want to go back through everything again and set it all up. Thanks for all the replies and help I got from you guys, even though I am still having problems it really helped.

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
I have a question about this receiver.

I bought this six months ago and have been using it every day with no issues. All the components are running into it through hdmi.

Last night there was an electrical storm and after one big crash the home entertainment unit went out. The surge protector seemed to be working and everything went back on immediately.

Except now the hdmi connections aren't working. I bypassed the surround and ran the cable and Blu-ray into the TV through hdmi and it worked fine. I reset the microprocessor on the Denon and nothing. The receiver still turns on but the components get hdmi error messages when connected.

I figure it's one of three things:

1. The power in my area is compromised and the Denon isn't getting enough power to run the hdmi connections.

2. A surge screwed with the receiver and I need to rest each hdmi connection individually.

3. A surge fried something in the receiver.

I'm leaning towards 1 but I could use another opinion. Thoughts?

Blister1972

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason D
Originally Posted by Holton0289

I have the inputs assigned, but I didn't relabel them st they are still called quick select 1 2 3. I live in north Alabama around the Huntsville area. I am still going through the manual one page at a time, alot of this stuff could be in a diff language as far as i can tell. Every time I change something it messes with something else. Now on HD channels the screen turns to static for a split second every 2 seconds or so, now I am trying to figure out what went wrong.

I had this problem over the weekend, while watching "The Walking Dead" on my Xbox 360 fed via HDMI through my Denon AVR-591. It was pissing me off, so I unpplugged the HDMI cable on the Xbox and plugged it back in. It went away and seems to be a "handshake" issue, because at first it wanted to display the HD content in 480p. Errghhh!

All is well now, and there seems to be a slight delay when switching between sources on the left receiver knob or remote. I can deal with the delay for all of the Auddessy auto set-up 5.1 goodness.

On a side note, it's a shame the Colts lost yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks