New Home Theater Set-up Help!!

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Paul E, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Paul E

Paul E Auditioning

We just moved into a new home 2 months ago, and purchased our first home theater system last week. Until now our set-up consists of a new Toshiba 42h82 projection TV, a Direct Tv satelite receiver, and an older Sharp VCR.

Our new ht system is a Yamaha YHT 740, which includes 6-speaker surround( incl rear center speaker) and a powered sub-woofer, a 5 disc progressive scan DVD/CD player, a Yamaha 5650 receiver.

The guy at the video store told me to hook up the TV to DVD directly w/ component video cables if i want progressive scan to work, and get best picture quality. This doesn't make sense to me if i have component hook-ups available to go from tv to receiver and then receiver to dvd. Then I can control everything thru receiver, correct?

I'm an electronics idiot, and would love someone to give me instructions for best system set-up from start to finish. I thought I'd start with speaker hook-up, and then begin components. I also will add my Nakamichi cassette deck to this system.

p.s.- I've read thru many of the beginner set-up threads on this site, and they've helped a lot, but confused after talking w/ sales guy at store.

Thanks,

Paul

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Paul, I don’t know that particular receiver, but some receivers don’t have as much internal bandwidth for the video signals as are present in the component inputs. Translated this means that there is the possibility of some signal loss by going through the receiver.

This potential is no doubt why there was a recommendation of direct connections (DVD player to display).

3. adamKI

adamKI Stunt Coordinator

The guy at the electronics store was correct - if you only have one video source (your DVD player) using component video then you should wire directly from DVD to your TV. On the other hand, if you have an HDTV tuner or X-box with the HD pack as well as a DVD player, you might want to use your receiver to do component switching.

There's no reason to put the receiver in your video's signal path if it has nothing to switch.

You probably should allow your receiver to handle the video switching between VCR and DircTV though. That way, you will only have to worry about two input settings on your TV (component and video 1, for example).

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

5. adamKI

adamKI Stunt Coordinator

Runing the DVD video through the reciever will not give you the ability to "switch everything with one button" unless ALL (well, at least more than one) of your video sources are using component video. If you only have one source with component outputs you don't add any button pushes by going directly to the television.

In both cases, to switch from VCR to DVD you'll have to (A)press the "DVD" source button on your receiver, then (B)press the "Input" button on your TV until you get to the component input. Unless your receiver can somehow control the video input setting on yout television (mine doesn't I think you can do that with some new Mitsu stuff).

IMHO You're just spending money on an extra component cable that you don't need. When you do have multiple component sources then, by all means, use your receiver to switch ... if my system is any gauge, you'll probably run out of component inputs on your reciver before you know what hit you [​IMG]

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

7. Paul E

Paul E Auditioning

Thanks for all the great feedback! I'll be setting up this week-end, and see how it goes. Undoubtedly will have more questions once I get started.

Paul[​IMG]

8. adamKI

adamKI Stunt Coordinator

Ted,

Some receivers can convert composite video to S-video but I've never seen one that can upconvert either of those to component. It's totally possible though and that would be the ultimate solution for "one button switching. Until then, I use macro functions on my remote control to simultaneouosly switch TV and receiver settings.

Adam

9. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

10. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Forogt one thing: Plan on having lots of time.

Newbie installing 5-channel HT: @6 hours & 353 counts of profanity, including speaker wire stripping and equipment calibration.

Multi-year vetern HT junkie: 30 minutes including speaker wire stripping, equipment calibration, and consulting Feng Shui charts.

11. Paul E

Paul E Auditioning

Ok now what about my speaker wires. Longest run will be 30'. My Yamaha HT came with what looks like 20 gauge wire. From what I've read this is too small. I see a lot of 16 gauge around. Is that still too small?

Paul [​IMG]

12. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

yeah, it definitely won't hurt to upgrade your speaker wire. most people recommend anywhere from 16-12g.

i'm running 12g to my mains, and (i think) about 14g to my center and rears. i say "i think" because it's that darn monster xp wire...and there is no indication of it's gauge.

20g is pretty thin...upgrade if you can. you don't have to do it right away. heck, you can even buy some thicker speaker wire, then see if you hear a difference. you may not...nothing wrong with that. i say better safe then sorry though. speaker wire is relatively inexpensive.

13. Paul E

Paul E Auditioning

Thanks for all your help! I set-up this week-end, and only used a handful of expletives. Of course, none of the wiring has been installed behind walls, ect so it's somewhat unsightly. But dammit, I just want to use my HT!

One question for today- When I watch Dirct TV movies I only get 2 channel sound. I've played w/ DSP modes, and funny enougfh it seems the best surround type sound I get is with "6 channel stereo" mode. Do I need to get a sat receiver w/ optical hook-up in order to get true multi-channel sound? Mine has only RCA audio jacks.

Paul[​IMG]

14. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer