What's new

New Home Theater Set-up Help!! (1 Viewer)

Paul E

Auditioning
We just moved into a new home 2 months ago, and purchased our first home theater system last week. Until now our set-up consists of a new Toshiba 42h82 projection TV, a Direct Tv satelite receiver, and an older Sharp VCR.

Our new ht system is a Yamaha YHT 740, which includes 6-speaker surround( incl rear center speaker) and a powered sub-woofer, a 5 disc progressive scan DVD/CD player, a Yamaha 5650 receiver.

The guy at the video store told me to hook up the TV to DVD directly w/ component video cables if i want progressive scan to work, and get best picture quality. This doesn't make sense to me if i have component hook-ups available to go from tv to receiver and then receiver to dvd. Then I can control everything thru receiver, correct?

I'm an electronics idiot, and would love someone to give me instructions for best system set-up from start to finish. I thought I'd start with speaker hook-up, and then begin components. I also will add my Nakamichi cassette deck to this system.

p.s.- I've read thru many of the beginner set-up threads on this site, and they've helped a lot, but confused after talking w/ sales guy at store.

Thanks,

Paul

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Paul, I don’t know that particular receiver, but some receivers don’t have as much internal bandwidth for the video signals as are present in the component inputs. Translated this means that there is the possibility of some signal loss by going through the receiver.

This potential is no doubt why there was a recommendation of direct connections (DVD player to display).

adamKI

Stunt Coordinator
The guy at the electronics store was correct - if you only have one video source (your DVD player) using component video then you should wire directly from DVD to your TV. On the other hand, if you have an HDTV tuner or X-box with the HD pack as well as a DVD player, you might want to use your receiver to do component switching.

There's no reason to put the receiver in your video's signal path if it has nothing to switch.

You probably should allow your receiver to handle the video switching between VCR and DircTV though. That way, you will only have to worry about two input settings on your TV (component and video 1, for example).

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
The guy at the video store told me to hook up the TV to DVD directly w/ component video cables...i have component hook-ups available to go from tv to receiver and then receiver to dvd. Then I can control everything thru receiver, correct?
like lew said, if your receiver's component inputs can handle the bandwidth, then you're all set. i'm not familiar with your receiver. you may want to get with tech support and ask them what the range is. i'm not sure, but i think you need somewhere around 50-60MHz.

i am in the "put-everything-through-the-receiver-first" camp. i like the ability to switch everything with one button. however, i also always suggest people try both ways. run the video directly to the tv, then through the receiver. if you see a difference, the choice is obvious.

regarding your speaker hookup, it should be fairly straightforward. is this gear a htb? do the instructions say to run the speaker wire through the sub or through the back of the receiver? those should be your only two options.

for your tape deck, you should have an input labeled "tape1" or "tape monitor". run the connections from your deck to those inputs.

adamKI

Stunt Coordinator
Runing the DVD video through the reciever will not give you the ability to "switch everything with one button" unless ALL (well, at least more than one) of your video sources are using component video. If you only have one source with component outputs you don't add any button pushes by going directly to the television.

In both cases, to switch from VCR to DVD you'll have to (A)press the "DVD" source button on your receiver, then (B)press the "Input" button on your TV until you get to the component input. Unless your receiver can somehow control the video input setting on yout television (mine doesn't I think you can do that with some new Mitsu stuff).

IMHO You're just spending money on an extra component cable that you don't need. When you do have multiple component sources then, by all means, use your receiver to switch ... if my system is any gauge, you'll probably run out of component inputs on your reciver before you know what hit you :D

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
Runing the DVD video through the reciever will not give you the ability to "switch everything with one button" unless ALL (well, at least more than one) of your video sources are using component video.
ahh...good point. i'm running all composite cabling, so i always forget that.

[edit] don't some of the higher-end receivers switch among all three cabling formats?

Paul E

Auditioning
Thanks for all the great feedback! I'll be setting up this week-end, and see how it goes. Undoubtedly will have more questions once I get started.

Paul;)

adamKI

Stunt Coordinator
Ted,

Some receivers can convert composite video to S-video but I've never seen one that can upconvert either of those to component. It's totally possible though and that would be the ultimate solution for "one button switching. Until then, I use macro functions on my remote control to simultaneouosly switch TV and receiver settings.

Adam

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I'm an electronics idiot, and would love someone to give me instructions for best system set-up from start to finish. I thought I'd start with speaker hook-up, and then begin components. I also will add my Nakamichi cassette deck to this system.
Step one: Place everything. Set your TV across from your primary couch, chairs, tatami mats, or whatever you plan on watching enjoying your HT from. Put all your speakers in the correct positions using stands or wall-brackets (if needed). Place all your electronics gear in a ventilated rack (remember components with Amps go on top). Be sure to leave room behind the AV racks to connect everything.

2: Run speaker wire. positive to positive, negative to negative. Speakers will have the most abundant cables, and a good thing to get installed and the extra wire tucked away first.

3. Connect audio components to reciever. CD players, tape decks, satellite radio recievers, etc. Most are connect with stereo interconnects (the red & white cables), or digital cables (no need to connect both types). The reciever should have the inputs clearly labeled.

4. Connect video components to reciever. Cable box, sat reciever, VCR, playstation etc. Remember that most recievers CANNOT 'upgrade' one connector to another type. If everything you have connects with S-video cables and your Nintendo doesn't, you will have to run both S-video and standard composite cable from your reciever (Monitor Out) to your television (you will need to switch your televisions input in this case). Also connect the audio portion of your video eqipment. DVD, HD tuners, X-Box and other surround sound capable devices will commonly use a single digital connector (but not SACD or DVD-A players, except in the case of high-end Denon equipment), but most will have stereo interconnects.

5. Connect antenna for the recievers AM/FM radio reception.

6. Use a set-up disk (I have the Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune-Up DVD, @$15) to ensure all everything hooked up. Check for speaker phase ( a problem if you mix-up pos & neg wires), sound coming from the proper speaker (Wrong wire to speaker), adjust the speaker level (Using test-tones and an SPL meter, @$30 from RadioShack), adjust picture controls (Tint, contrast, brightness, blacklevel, etc.)

7. Test-play all audio and video components to ensure proper hook-up.

8. Enjoy equipment.

9. Consider a universal remote.

10. Upgrade something.

11. Upgrade something else.:D

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Forogt one thing: Plan on having lots of time.

Newbie installing 5-channel HT: @6 hours & 353 counts of profanity, including speaker wire stripping and equipment calibration.

Multi-year vetern HT junkie: 30 minutes including speaker wire stripping, equipment calibration, and consulting Feng Shui charts.

Paul E

Auditioning
Ok now what about my speaker wires. Longest run will be 30'. My Yamaha HT came with what looks like 20 gauge wire. From what I've read this is too small. I see a lot of 16 gauge around. Is that still too small?

Paul :D

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
yeah, it definitely won't hurt to upgrade your speaker wire. most people recommend anywhere from 16-12g.

i'm running 12g to my mains, and (i think) about 14g to my center and rears. i say "i think" because it's that darn monster xp wire...and there is no indication of it's gauge.

20g is pretty thin...upgrade if you can. you don't have to do it right away. heck, you can even buy some thicker speaker wire, then see if you hear a difference. you may not...nothing wrong with that. i say better safe then sorry though. speaker wire is relatively inexpensive.

Paul E

Auditioning
Thanks for all your help! I set-up this week-end, and only used a handful of expletives. Of course, none of the wiring has been installed behind walls, ect so it's somewhat unsightly. But dammit, I just want to use my HT!

One question for today- When I watch Dirct TV movies I only get 2 channel sound. I've played w/ DSP modes, and funny enougfh it seems the best surround type sound I get is with "6 channel stereo" mode. Do I need to get a sat receiver w/ optical hook-up in order to get true multi-channel sound? Mine has only RCA audio jacks.

Paul:D

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Do I need to get a sat receiver w/ optical hook-up in order to get true multi-channel sound? Mine has only RCA audio jacks.
Yes you do—but be warned that there is not that much programming in DD 5.1—most of what is available comes from HD telecasts—but not all of them have 5.1 sound. Sports 5.1 (when it happens) is mostly confined to crowd noise on the surround channels—it is kind of nice, but really, no big deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks